getting rid of parallels desktop

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I wanted to re-install my operating system due to the fact I am selling my imac, I have also been running parallels desktop 7 so I obviously wanted to get rid of that as well.
I erased the Macintosh HD drive in the Disc Utility and Reinstall OSX, my question is would this have got rid of parallels desktop 7 as well and all the files associated with parallels desktop 7.
Cheers.

Kev.

Reaction score
If you erased the drive then yes, it got rid of Parallels, and everything else on the drive.
Think about it for a minute.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yes, that's fine I can understand what you mean, the only reason I asked the question was because when I went into the Disc Utility the Macintosh HD drive was shown on the left hand side and if I remember right there looked to be two other items there as well but I'm not sure if they were drives or not and I was wondering if parallels desktop made it's own separate drive when it is installed, or not.
It may sound like a stupid thing to ask but I'm no computer expert, so I don't know.
Cheers.
Kev.

Reaction score
One was probably your cd/dvd drive. Also do you have any external drives? they'll all be listed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Parallels just creates files on the hard disk. No separate partitions are used. Unless you installed Windows in Bootcamp then pointed Parallels at that

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
One of them might have been Boot Camp (if you used that). Did you install Windows through Boot Camp on your machine?

OP
K
Reaction score
would the drive have
Kev.been named Boot Camp.
As far as I can remember I just purchased parallels desktop 7 via download and it loaded automatically onto my Mac and then put the Windows 7 Disc in when prompted.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I believe the default name for the partition would have been "Boot Camp." However, if you only used Parallels and didn't use Boot Camp, the virtual hard drive would have been deleted with everything else as cradom noted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.