MacBook Pro as a Primary Computer?

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade from a 2007 iMac and I am considering a new MacBook Pro Retina with a display. We are not big gamers (the kids play Minecraft) but do use iMovie and iPhoto a good deal. Is it reasonable to use a MacBook Retina for a primary computer or should I be looking at a new iMac?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Many many many folks have a MacBook Pro as their primary computer.

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
More and more I am realizing my iPad is actually my primary computer, with my MacBook Pro playing second fiddle.

C

chas_m

I have used a MacBook and now a MBP as my *only* non-iPad computer since 2006. Obviously I added the iPad as a supplement in 2010 for mostly "leisure" activities, but to this day I do most of my podcasting, writing, photo and video editing, video conferencing and so forth with a (non-Retina) older MBP and am only just now feeling like its nearing the time to get a newer model. I'm not the heavy power-user I once was, but all of my (all day every day) needs are being met with this machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well, transitioned back to Apple in the spring (although 30+ yrs using computers) - my main 'computers' now are a rMBPro & an iPad 2 (will upgrade early next year to an Air); wife is on a new iMac and an iPad Mini - boy w/ an Apple laptop & iPad, most of your needs should be served! Dave :)

Reaction score
Used a MBP as main computer for over a year. Had it connected to an external 24" monitor, worked really well. However as I was using it for photo editing it did become a bit untidy. A dock would have been a good idea but I bought an iMac instead ( Dock would have been cheaper. :) )

I know of two people who use MBP as their main computer without any problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
... but do use iMovie and iPhoto a good deal....

If you do much in the way of editing photos in iPhoto or creating a lot of edits in iMovie you might be better off with the iMac. I would think one of your biggest consideration would be screen size. I currently use my 15" MBP for video capturing at live events and then at home for internet access. I edit pictures and videos on two beefy Windows 7 pro computers. I use dual screens on both editors. One has dual 24" monitors and the other dual 27" monitors.

I have edited one live event on my MBP and about 100 pictures. I use Premiere Pro CS6 for all my video work. I use Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 5 for photo editing. The MBP will run all three with no problems. My biggest issue with my MBP as a choice for edtiting is screen size. When you spend a lot of time looking closely at a screen your eyes get tired and size of screen plus high resolution capability and monitor quality helps.

I am planning to upgrade one of my Windows editors this coming year. I am holding off on whether it will be an iMac or Mac pro. Cost will be the deciding factor versus what I have in the budget. One thing I will have is a monitor or two that is at least 27".... and lots of memory and lots of storage space and a beefy processor or two and a beefy video card.....you get the idea.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I do a large amount of photo editing on a 15" MacBook Pro, and was doing on a 13" MacBook for about six years before that. Honestly, a desktop has never really crossed my mind as a main machine. Having the portability of a laptop, especially one as powerful as a MacBook Pro is so valuable when you run around as much as I do. Definitely never been a bottleneck in my workflow, even without an external monitor.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Even better when you can have both an iMac and MacBook Pro.... $$$$!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Even better when you can have both an iMac and MacBook Pro.... $$$$!

That's my goal! iMac at work and MBP for portability. Now all I have to do is save up the $$$ for the iMac

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.