Disk Utility Clone on MBP is stuck

Reaction score
The Cloning process using Disk utility on my mac book pro mid 2011 running 10.7.5 seems to be stuck.
the hdd's involved are not vibrating (as is felt when they are occupied),
the estimated time has not changed in the last 2 hours,
trackpad is non responsive and so is the keyboard (brightness keys, cmd+q).
Im afraid to force shutdown since i dont have any other back ups of my computer.

here's my post in the official apple support community: https://discussions.apple.com/message/23949871#23949871

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Use force quit and stop Disk Utility. It shouldn't do any harm to your machine unless something was wrong prior to starting the cloning. Before doing any cloning with Disk Utility you should always run a Verify and Repair if necessary. Both CCC and SuperDuper will check the validity of the hard drive prior to cloning. Using Disk Utility to clone is not a good idea since it does not clone the recovery partition if you had one. Carbon Copy Cloner is the only cloning software I trust.

OP
T
Reaction score
Had to force shutdown

Thanks for replying.

I couldn't force quit, because the keyboard was non responsive. i tried it.
i had to force shutdown and it restarted with a weird screen looking like console terminal and a dialog saying system needs to restart and will do so on its own in 4 languages.

It restarted fine after that. I have since cloned using CCC trial.

I just hope I can restore later using disk utility because the CCC trial will be over in a month.

thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just hope I can restore later using disk utility because the CCC trial will be over in a month.

The obvious answer here is to buy CCC. It has saved me from a disaster numerous times and is worth every penny the developer is asking for it. But it's your choice of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks for replying.
It restarted fine after that. I have since cloned using CCC trial.

The obvious answer here is to buy CCC. It has saved me from a disaster numerous times and is worth every penny the developer is asking for it. But it's your choice of course.

Well, did you verify whether the CCC clone booted your computer? If so or if not, then you need to determine that you have a valid bootable clone; I just cloned my iMac & MBPro w/ the program, which I did purchased (quite inexpensive insurance policy in my mind).

Of course, you realize that as you make changes on your computer (removing or installing programs, system changes, browser bookmarks, etc.) you will need to re-clone the machine - this will be quick w/ CCC since only 'changed' files are added to the clone from my brief experience - AND if you need to do a restoration? Just some thoughts from a 'new' user of CCC - good luck in your choice. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.