13 years of Windows **** is over

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Newest Mac Mini
Im the new guy, so let me say hello to all my fellow Mac users. /waves

I was happy using Windows for many years.
But in the past few, MS has really dropped the ball with their OS, and Windows 8 was the final straw. I decided last week that I had enough and made the switch.
My only regret is that I didn't do it MUCH sooner.

I bought the Mini, not expecting much, but, I am happy to say, I am blown away by this little beast.
Video, audio, speed, stability, its all there. I couldn't be happier.

Why did I wait so long ??? :[

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums!

Many of us are recovering Windows users, you're in good company. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Welcome to Mac Forums and to the world of OSX and Macs. If we can help in any way, just let us know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Brozz - welcome aboard - sailing should now be smoother! :)

I started out w/ an Apple II+ in 1980 - switched to PCs in the mid-80s (a work necessity) and went for nearly 30 years w/ MS & malware protectors (usually Norton) - retired in 2011 and in the spring 'dumped' the PC world - now on a rMBPro & wife on an iMac - we both have iPads and my MP3 music is on an old iPod - hope you enjoy the experience, too! Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I still have to use ms windows in work. I find myself shouting at my PC much more than I do at my mac. Perhaps it's windows, perhaps it's my work environment...

My guess is that as I'm much calmer on my iMac at home (complete with teenage daughter and her angst) that it's my PC that causes stresses!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Welcome new convert! 32 years with PC's starting with DOS 1.0 up to Windows 8.1 and all flavors in between. My switch to Macs came from having to have a laptop with a firewire port for video capturing in Premiere Pro. Bought my MBP and instantly fell in LOVE. Wished I had done it sooner.

Lisa

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @brozz. Windows is good but Apple is the best :) Performance wise, you couldnt ask for more with apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 black macbook 2.4/2/250 running 10.7.5,
Apple rocks! I too came from windows.... got a laptop with windows vista...what a pile of crap. a friend of mine gave me a old g3 ibook running os x tiger a couple years ago and once i figured out how simple os x was to use and how it never seemed to argue doing what i asked it to do, i got a early 2006 imac and now a black macbook. it is totally unbelievable how crappy windows is and how a company can sell such garbage as microsoft does. I would much rather use an older apple computer than a brand new windows machine. I played with windows 7 and then windows 8 on a friend's laptop and all i can say is wow...does windows suck more now than before. vista was the ruin of microsoft.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Newest Mac Mini
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

@tornadochaser - I agree, Vista was the ruin of Windows. They had a great OS with XP, and IMO should have worked more on getting the bugs out of the 64 bit XP instead of creating Vista.

Im still a bit lost when performing tasks, but Im slowly learning my way around Mavericks. I do catch myself saying .. "well that was easy" .... after learning the Apple way of doing something.
I also got my wireless printer to function properly. Something I was never able to do with Winblows, err, I mean Windows, hehe.

Overall I couldn't be happier, and Im considering an iPad as my next purchase.
I think Im hooked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 black macbook 2.4/2/250 running 10.7.5,
I am running snow leopard on my black macbook. it will run lion nicely but i chase severe weather (tornadoes) and the weather model program has not been updated to run on lion yet so i put snow leopard back on it.

Reaction score
I have nothing against Macs, I have a new Mac Mini now and have owned three of them.

I built and sold over 50 pc's in the last two years. Most with Win7 and three win8.
Have not had one complaint or problem except calls for advice about buying some gadget they may want to add etc. And most of the buyers are over 50 years old.

I also refurb Dell Laptops. Sold 18 this year, about half with Vista rest XP and Win7.
No failures and no complaints.

Between my brother, son and I we have had over 30 PC's with Vista and it is as reliable as Win7. There was some driver issues when it first came out and the presentation was changed and I think that caused a bad reputation.

About three months ago, one lady who was not computer smart to begin with bought a new PC with Win8 and she wanted me to change it to Win7 she was so upset.
I spent about 45 minutes with her, organizing her start screen for her and explaining the new presentation and she was happy and I have not heard another word from her.

I think each time the screen presentation changes, some people get upset.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Newest Mac Mini
Someone is either looking to promote their business, or has drank too much of the MS Kool Aid.

Its widely known that Win 8 is a colossal failure. Its actually been blamed for the decline in PC sales over the last year or so. According to a few well known and respected publishers.
Trying to get PC users to accept an OS that is built for touch pads and tablets is like kicking a dead horse and expecting it to run. It just isn't going to happen.

Windows Vista was a disaster, and yes, 7 corrected many of Vistas issues, and was actually a pretty solid OS. Too bad the think tanks at MS decided to shoot themselves in the foot once again with 8.

The casual user may never notice the shortcomings of the latest MS OSs, and thats obviously the demographic that MS has been targeting.
Its the same with their new Xbox One. Its more media machine than gaming console, and gamers have answered with their wallets, by pre-ordering and purchasing millions Sonys PS4 on launch day.

MS needs to drop their misguided and narcissistic idea of world domination via home electronics, and get back to what made them successful back in the days of WinXP and the original Xbox.
Until they do, they'll continue to alienate consumers.

It has nothing to do with "screen presentation", and more to do with the MS attitude of "We know whats best for you, so shut up and accept it".

Ask AOL how that worked for them, see what they tell you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina
Hey Brozz, how are you liking the mini? I was seriously looking at it for a desktop replacement but ended up purchasing a macbook for the portability. I am still considering a mini to use as a home media iTunes Player/server.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Newest Mac Mini
Im liking the Mini a lot. It does everything I ask of it, which includes Photoshop / Premiere Elements 11 & Garageband.
You'll want to get a decent speaker set up for use as an iTunes player, as the built in speaker is less than adequate for the job.

Overall, I think its a great value.

Reaction score
Don't know if you were referring to me, but if so, I am not a casual user.

I was building computers when you had to buy kits and put them together.

I have worked in the industry as a data field engineer for two large computer companies, been a data comm manager and data network designer until I retired.

We had over 17000 pc's in a tri state area and I was in tune with all the problems going on in our networks. We automated the care and feeding of these machines and locked them down so the average users could no load their favorite program they had at home.
That made our operation very reliable.

I sat next to the pc support staff for several years and talked with them all the time.

I have built over 100 PC's and refurbished and sold many laptops.
I have repaired probably 200 pc's for various hardware problems over the last 30 years.

I can only report on my experiences.

I have worked through the Dos years to the Win 8 years.

I have no business to support or promote. I do it for a hobby and I give away several Pc's a year or sell them for less than I have in them to help someone that can't afford a new one.

Most of the one's I fix, I do for free.

And I do like my Mac Mini...lol

Someone is either looking to promote their business, or has drank too much of the MS Kool Aid.

Its widely known that Win 8 is a colossal failure. Its actually been blamed for the decline in PC sales over the last year or so. According to a few well known and respected publishers.
Trying to get PC users to accept an OS that is built for touch pads and tablets is like kicking a dead horse and expecting it to run. It just isn't going to happen.

Windows Vista was a disaster, and yes, 7 corrected many of Vistas issues, and was actually a pretty solid OS. Too bad the think tanks at MS decided to shoot themselves in the foot once again with 8.

The casual user may never notice the shortcomings of the latest MS OSs, and thats obviously the demographic that MS has been targeting.
Its the same with their new Xbox One. Its more media machine than gaming console, and gamers have answered with their wallets, by pre-ordering and purchasing millions Sonys PS4 on launch day.

MS needs to drop their misguided and narcissistic idea of world domination via home electronics, and get back to what made them successful back in the days of WinXP and the original Xbox.
Until they do, they'll continue to alienate consumers.

It has nothing to do with "screen presentation", and more to do with the MS attitude of "We know whats best for you, so shut up and accept it".

Ask AOL how that worked for them, see what they tell you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina
Im liking the Mini a lot. It does everything I ask of it, which includes Photoshop / Premiere Elements 11 & Garageband.
You'll want to get a decent speaker set up for use as an iTunes player, as the built in speaker is less than adequate for the job.

Overall, I think its a great value.

Thanks for the info Brozz, I may wait a bit for a mini to see what sort of upgrades they might announce for it before buying one, I've blown my wad for this year on my laptop. My Apple TV is hooked up through my av receiver /sound system so I rarely listen to music through my computer. I have tried about three different music streaming devices in my windows days and had so much trouble configuring them to work properly. My appleTV was just plug it in, enter my wifi info and a minute later it was playing my iTunes music. Ever notice how a mac gets all mellow and groovy when it plays Grateful Dead? :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook MB061LL/A 13.3" 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, Combo Drive
Unfortunately Apple **** is not much better.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ios-apps/306477-i-think-i-hate-iphone.html#post1554905

And that's just me and my most recent problem, not the only one. I'm sure you can find many more examples from other users and activists, in particular the supply chain issues, companies like Foxconn etc. Apple and Google both seem to be on the same path as Microsoft, if not as far along and even Amazon looks to be a few steps behind them sometimes. It's not looking good for the future of consumer tech.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.