Idea knot substitute needed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Does anyone know of a software that does the same as. Idea knot? I used it for years! Non I ugraded to mountain lion and it is not compatible any more. I would settle for a software that would read the files i created. Thank you all for your inputs.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For an app that hasn't been touched by it's own developer in 9 years - you may want to state what this app does in order to get some advice about what apps could be a replacement. Not too many folks are going to take the time to go look it up to see what it is.

OP
walky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
I was wishing for any faithful user that did find a substitute for it. Up till yesterday when i quit using 10.6.8 i was able to use it.
Their last upgrade was working fine so it needed no upgrade, just a compatibility upgrade. It is a simple application was designed to be simple and productive from the start What i liked is that you post entries in different categories. They are TXT , great to jot down ideas for projects, books, etc. the best feature though, is that it is able to combine all entries in one file for export. Imagine you have chapters of a book you work individually on, then decide to combine them on one step to have the complete work in one file. That is what i am looking for.

You could have a great category for Book, project X, etc and within them chapters or entries. Then you could combine one great category into one file.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately, it's a PPC coded app and one that's very old. PPC coded apps will not work in any version of OS X after Snow Leopard. Find a substitute is the best advice we can give you.

OP
walky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Unfortunately, it's a PPC coded app and one that's very old. PPC coded apps will not work in any version of OS X after Snow Leopard. Find a substitute is the best advice we can give you.

I hear you... Looking around today the most likely similar product has been Scrivener, so far. Makes the compiling but has too many features for me, a lighter version of Scrivener would be the ideal solution for me, so if anyone knows about it, l just hope you can post your suggestions here and i will be very grateful.

p
Also, what software could read the files written by IdIea knot? It hink this is a super flaw of all softwares. Their files should be available to basic types of formats after the program is no longer supported. Which is why the compiling is great, since it saved in TXT. Scrivener apparently saves the compilation in several formats, which is great, but still looking for a simpler program.

Also, i am not a professional writer, so i don't need so many features, but i do write a lot of things for myself.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Scrivener is a great app but is primarily a word processor for aspiring writers. However, for your use, it may be overkill. Why not just use TextEdit since it has no problem reading and saving text files. It will also open MS Word files.

Also, you might want to access the Mac App store and browse around to see what's available.

Reaction score
Those who don't know IdeaKnot don't know what a good productive program is. It was simple, yet very practical. A text application will not do. IdeaKnot had two panels if I remember well. The best feature was being able to take notes quickly and organizing them by subjects. Then, whenever you wanted you could export all your notes on a subject to a single file. Ideal for writers, researchers, note taking on a class, recipes, to do list, etc… In simple txt files arranged in a novel fashion. You could have all these in their categories and export your file of recipes or notes from a class to a single file! Is that difficult? It is not a text file to which you ad more notes. You add SNIPPETS which you can later collect in one file.
My Gooness! Such a good program!

I am using Yojimbo to take notes on the Internet but it doesn't have the export capability and lacks other enhancements that could make it very, very productive. If the original writer from 2013 sees this. Try it and write to the Yojimbo developers! It is worth enhancing.

Why is it so difficult to program this feature and design something with two panels if the software has supposedly ADVANCED? Yes, because it hasn't! they complicated but not better at designing things we can use easily to do something well.

C

chas_m

Why is it so difficult to program this feature and design something with two panels if the software has supposedly ADVANCED? Yes, because it hasn't! they complicated but not better at designing things we can use easily to do something well.

It's not difficult. It's been done a thousand times over.

You're just not willing to do much research. This sounds a lot like notebook/mid-mapping/brainstorming software, and there are SO MANY options, quite a few of which would be similar to Idea Knot and probably many, many more that are BETTER, but not doing the research and the attitude of "I don't want to learn something else" is stopping you guys from finding a solution.

That said, there is another option or two -- since the OP needs to be able to open his old files.

The first is to buy/download the PC version of Idea Knot, which is apparently still being developed. Idea Knot

This may be able to read his old files, and of course Macs can run Windows software with the help of a virtualizer like Crossover, VirtualBox, Parallels, etc. You'll want to check with the developer about the compatibility of the files, of course, and while you're at it check with them about the alleged "Pro" version of Idea Knot they say they are working on (don't hold your breath, after nine years!).

Another option would be to pick up a cheap old MacBook that's already running 10.6.8, put your old copy of Idea Knot on it, and use that as your "Idea Knot" machine.

But really the long-term solution is to convert the files from Idea Knot into some standard format, and import them into Evernote or Circus Ponies Notebook or TopNotes or DevonThink or YoJimbo or Together any one of (literally) a thousand more notes/ideas/mindmap apps that a basic search on MacUpdate.com or the Mac App Store would probably yield. I mostly use the built-in app "Notes" for this, since it syncs with my iOS devices and vice-versa -- a feature I consider vital that Idea Knot never even dreamed of.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
If you are looking for a flexible note taking application then I can recommend iThoughts which is available for both iPad and Mac (from iThoughts (iOS)). It would allow you to do the sort of thing you are asking for and can export to fairly open standards like Freemind. I use iThoughts all the time to take notes in meeting on my iPad and to capture my thoughts when I'm creating / brainstorming something on my Mac.

Alternatively, what you are describing is basically a light weight wiki, so any simple wiki application would meet most of your needs (the export would be the only question). Wiki markup is an open standard so you would be future proofed.

With respect to your existing application, I'm guessing you didn't export the full content before upgrading your Mac? What format are the native files stored in? My guess would be either a database of some kind or XML perhaps? You might be able to extract the data into text files using a scripting language?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.