Macbook Pro 2nd screen won't wake

Reaction score
Pardon me if this is old hat; I couldn't find an answer by searching.

I have a 2nd VGA screen running off my Macbook. It works fine; but if I let the system go to sleep it won't wake up short of pulling out its plug and reconnecting.

Dragging a window onto it doesn't work, nor anything else I can think of.

No doubt it's a duh, what? type answer, but all newbie help welcome...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Would guess it is a display problem rather than a problem that can be solved by any setting on your Mac.

Tried pressing the power off/on button on the monitor instead of unplugging it?

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.
Would guess it is a display problem rather than a problem that can be solved by any setting on your Mac.
Well I'm pleased enough that it's not a general idiot answer that everyone knows but me :)

That would make me think it is indeed to do with the display itself, or everyone would in fact know.
Tried pressing the power off/on button on the monitor instead of unplugging it?
No effect :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a 2nd VGA screen running off my Macbook. It works fine; but if I let the system go to sleep it won't wake up short of pulling out its plug and reconnecting.

Dragging a window onto it doesn't work, nor anything else I can think of.

Two thoughts that may or may not help:

1. Do you know if the monitor itself has a separate sleep setting? Many monitors have built-in display adjustments for things like color, contrast, brightness, and many other things. Maybe your monitor has some sort of setting that is preventing it from "waking" up.

2. This is a long shot idea. Not many folks are using VGA any longer (at least with Mac's). Maybe it has something to do with the VGA to Mac connection (versus DVI, mini-DVI, HDMI, mini-display port, Thunderbolt).

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
1. I've pressed loads of buttons on the monitor, to no effect.

2. Telephone support from Apple can't find others with the same problem so yeah it's probably just a 'feature' of the screen I'm using.

OP
R
Reaction score
Now I really am baffled.

If I restart my machine, the 2nd screen wakes up just like I'd expect; it's only when it comes back from sleep that there's a problem.

This surely must mean that there's something I can do to make it come back to life from sleep, too?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try resetting the System Management Controller as that determines the status of an external display. Let's see if that cures it. See the following Apple KB article: LINK

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Now I really am baffled.

If I restart my machine, the 2nd screen wakes up just like I'd expect; it's only when it comes back from sleep that there's a problem.

This surely must mean that there's something I can do to make it come back to life from sleep, too?

I'm not sure why you're baffled. This thread was about this 2nd monitor not waking from sleep. You never said (until your last post)...that there was any problems when the computer is rebooted.

Personally...I would have expected the external monitor to work fine on a reboot/restart.

Hopefully the SMC reset that chscag suggested will cure things. If not...you could also try an NVRAM Reset.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you're baffled. This thread was about this 2nd monitor not waking from sleep. You never said (until your last post)...that there was any problems when the computer is rebooted.

Personally...I would have expected the external monitor to work fine on a reboot/restart.
Hadn't said because I hadn't rebooted before. And when I did there were no problems with it, the 2nd screen worked fine - rather to my surprise. I, too, would expect the 2nd monitor to work fine on both reboot and restart, or not at all in both cases; it's that it works differently that I am finding baffling.

Forgive me for being a soppy milquetoast but I'm quite reluctant to do what look to be basic system resets on a machine less than 2 weeks old and which I don't really understand. Thanks for your help anyway, I appreciate it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.