Looking for a quality, weather sealed, walk about lens for Canon 70D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Hey Everyone,
Looking to get a 70D over the next few months. But as many of you know I am using a T3i at the moment. Now I have the EF 28-135mm older Canon lens that has the build quality of a lead plated china toy. I am looking to replace this lens with something of better build quality as well as looking for weather sealing since weather sealing is something I need and also one of the reason I am going with the new 70D. I have been looking at the Tamron 18-270mm and the Sigma 18-250mm. Now the Sigma has better build and image quality and is very affordable at the moment with the xmas sales going on. But need weather sealing and I don't believe the Sigma has that nor the Tamron either.

If anyone can recommend a comparable lens with weather sealing under 1000USD. Please do..

Thanks,
Joe

Reaction score
The only lenses that Canon produce that have weather sealing are the "L" series. The weather sealing is provided by the construction and a flexible rubber gaiter around the mount. I don't think Sigma offer this. Now the only lens that I can find that comes close to your requirements is the Canon EF 28-300L. Not cheap B&H have it at $2499.

To be honest I don't think you'll find a suitable lens weather sealed for your budget.

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display

To be honest I don't think you'll find a suitable lens weather sealed for your budget.

Yea me too.. :(
Been looking all day, the only Sigma lens that is weather sealed is the sports series and smallest they got is a 70-200mm. But reasonably priced at 1099 for as good as it is.

This lens still is catching my eye and is getting many great reviews.
18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC (OS)* MACRO HSM | Sigma

Its not plastic/polycarbin like many others in the price range and Sigma has really stepped up in quality the past few years.. Really considering this and for the price range despite the weather sealing.. It could end up in my cam bag very soon..

Reaction score
If I couldn't get a Canon lens then I would go for the Sigma. Image quality of the two I have are fine, although one is a fish eye. The only negative I came across was with a135- 400mm zoom the focus was not as fast as the Canon 100-400. However that lens is many years old and didn't have the HSM fitted. Also the zoom was a bit rougher than the canon's I have. However as you say they seem to have upt there game

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After careful review into the Sigma 18-250 "MACRO" lens (Macro is the new model). I felt confident enough to purchase it. Few things that made me want this lens. - Its not cheap plastic, but something more of a higher grade polycarbonate material that withstands temperature distortion and is extremely durable. - New model has good macro and image stabilization, 18-250mm zoom means I can drop a lens from my bag and have on were two were needed. - Also it is made in Japan. - Supposed to come with lens hood and soft case. - While its not the best lens on the market, a L lens could/should perform slightly better. The new Sigma lens actually is better then the supplied kit lens that comes with most Canon cameras and since it was on sale on Amazon for $349 USD. It seemed like a safe investment since the normal price is $549 or more.

But the madness didn't stop there. While I was at it I broke down and got the Canon 70D (body only) for $1049, which is $150 off the normal MSRP. And of course a battery grip and two off brand batteries.

Now the bad part other then I am broke, is that I sent it to my Moms in the states and will have to have it sent sea cargo to me, which means I prob want see the camera till mid February.. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.