Very large gzip compressed archive

Reaction score
I'm using a 2012 Macbook Air running Mavericks. When I add up the file sizes in Finder, the total is lot lower than the amount of used disk space reported by Get Info.

I ran Disk Inventory X to look for what's taking up all that disk space. It shows a 61GB gzip compressed archive. The path to each of the many files in the archive is Macintosh HD/private/var/folders/h4/8dvm1yrn1018dm3zt2q3rjxm0000gn/T.

A typical file in the path is .vbfolder_zzwypA.

Can anyone tell me the purpose of this archive and these files?

Thanks,

Jeff

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's an unusually large amount of space being taken up by that directory. My VAR directory is only 6.77 GB. BTW, that's a hidden system directory and should not be tampered with. Also I have no compressed archives within that entire directory. There's something else going on with your system. Perhaps something you installed in the past?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Unfortunately, that folder structure doesn't help much (that's not your fault - the names are just useless).

Upon some searching, it appears that it could be caused by the application Virus Barrier (source). Do you have that installed?

OP
J
Reaction score
That's an unusually large amount of space being taken up by that directory. My VAR directory is only 6.77 GB. BTW, that's a hidden system directory and should not be tampered with. Also I have no compressed archives within that entire directory. There's something else going on with your system. Perhaps something you installed in the past?

Thanks for your reply.

Last night, I used Onyx to clean caches, etc., and afterwards, my computer would not reboot. I got the apple and the spinning thing. I then started from the recovery partition and reinstalled OSX overnight. My private folder is now only 3.6GB, so the problem is solved.

I've also deleted Virus Barrier Express.

OP
J
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that folder structure doesn't help much (that's not your fault - the names are just useless).

Upon some searching, it appears that it could be caused by the application Virus Barrier (source). Do you have that installed?

Thanks for the info about Virus Barrier. I had recently installed it. I just deleted it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.