Need help to decide which Macbook to buy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to decide which Macbook to buy, I'm gonna use it for pretty simple stuff, no gaming or anything. Probably won't take it around with me either, or very rarely anyway.

I'm from Malta so prices are slightly more expensive than the US. Anyway, I'm trying to decide between:

Macbook Air 13", 1.3GHz Intel Core i5, Intel HD Graphics 5000, 8GB RAM, 128GB flash storage, OS X Mountain Lion
which is €1219

or

Macbook Pro 13" Retina Display, 2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz, 4GB 1600MHz memory, 128GB PCIe-based flash storage, Intel Iris Graphics, Built-in battery (9 hours), OS X Mavericks
for €1369

I'm a little tight for budget, but what's concerning me in the Pro is the RAM. Should I settle for 4GB and get the Pro, or go for the Air with better RAM? Storage isn't really an issue for me, I have small external hard drive which should help me out. Plus, like I said I'm on a bit of a tight budget, and an extra 128GB would cost me €200, which just is out of the question for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 256 GB SSD not retina xD
Hello,

-I would recommend the MacBook Pro. It is a lot more powerful, and is a more versatile machine. However, if you can afford it, upgrade to 8GB of RAM. Mavericks uses a lot of RAM, and I would highly recommend 8GB. Also make sure that you are 100% sure when getting a computer from apple these days. Back in the day, you could change out the RAM and HD's, but today that is no longer an option. You have to be absolutely sure that what you need comes with the computer from the factory.

Overall get the MBP with 8GB, it will be more than enough if you ever plan to use Photoshop CS6, Final Cut, or Logic. It will last you a long time too.

-Hope this helped.

-iTz
;D;D;D

OP
M
Reaction score
Hello,

-I would recommend the MacBook Pro. It is a lot more powerful, and is a more versatile machine. However, if you can afford it, upgrade to 8GB of RAM. Mavericks uses a lot of RAM, and I would highly recommend 8GB. Also make sure that you are 100% sure when getting a computer from apple these days. Back in the day, you could change out the RAM and HD's, but today that is no longer an option. You have to be absolutely sure that what you need comes with the computer from the factory.

Overall get the MBP with 8GB, it will be more than enough if you ever plan to use Photoshop CS6, Final Cut, or Logic. It will last you a long time too.

-Hope this helped.

-iTz
;D;D;D

Yeah, I was leaning to the Pro too, I'll think it through in terms of how much to spend, because, yeah I'm hoping it lasts me a few years, so 8GB would probably be smarter, especially for new OSes.

If absolutely pressed though, would you go for the Air because of the RAM?

Thanks for the reply!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.