Which do you think I should buy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hi there! so I am in the market for a new macbook pro and find myself confused. I waited for the new 2013 line to have the newest possible but find that they are less powerful by far but more expensive. Is there something I'm missing?

right now im eyeing the 2012 even though it doesnt have retina display

2.9GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
4GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x2GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
for $1134
vs

2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
4GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
128GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
for $1469
the retina is 300 dollars more for less power than the 2012. That said is there something I dont know about haswell processors that makes them more powerful or faster with less gHz? I would be using the macbook for photo and video editing as well as 3d animation.

any advice? is the new lineup better than the 2012 version despite having seemingly lesser specs?
thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I would go for the 2013 version, only to ensure my options for future OS upgrades are secured.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi there! so I am in the market for a new macbook pro and find myself confused. I waited for the new 2013 line to have the newest possible but find that they are less powerful by far but more expensive. Is there something I'm missing?
vs

2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
4GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
128GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
for $1469
the retina is 300 dollars more for less power than the 2012. That said is there something I dont know about haswell processors that makes them more powerful or faster with less gHz? I would be using the macbook for photo and video editing as well as 3d animation.

Well in the spring I purchased a MBPro w/ retina display (which is a LOT easier for me to read small type than on my previous Dell laptop) - so you may want to take a look at both display options before buying - might be worth the extra cost if you're doing a lot of photo & video editing. Also, for the latter purposes, 8 GB RAM & a 256 GB SSD (both specs on my rMPB) would be strongly recommended - 128 GB of storage is just not enough if you are planning to put huge photo & video files on the drive. Good luck in your choice - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.