Internal Superdrive Ejecting DVD's after upgrade to maverick

Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently upgraded my Macbook Pro (15" Early 2011) from Mountain Lion to Maverick.
After the upgrade all my DVD;s are ejecting after 5 secs.

A couple of ours before upgrade my DVD's were working fine. But now everytime they are just ejecting.
Tried resetting the PR but nothing is working.

It seems a firmware related change, as bootime Option menu is not showing the DVD as well (it does when I put a bootable Windows or a Mac Lion Install DVD).

So what should i do now ?
I am really sure that there is no problem with the internal superdrive as it was just working few hours back and it has never created any problem.

All apple community I need help....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There was nothing about the Mavericks upgrade that changed how your optical drive works. I updated from Mountain Lion 10.8.5 to Mavericks on my 2011 iMac and my optical drive continued to work as before.

It's very likely that the drive failure is coincidental with the upgrade to Mavericks. Optical drives on Macs are its "Achilles Heel"; in other words, the weakest and most likely to fail piece of hardware on your Mac. All slot loading optical drives suffer from the same weakness. Buy a can of compressed air and blow several short blasts into the drive and keep your fingers crossed. Perhaps that will work to get the drive to accept disks once more.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
I would buy a can of compressed air. Should this work (Foooit - Air Duster ( Dust Remover / Compressed Air Can / Cleaner ) | eBay

I tried checking system log and found this
#sudo dmesg

SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, SENSE_KEY = 0x05, ASC = 0x20, ASCQ = 0x00

can you make out anything from this log?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That can of compressed air (duster) should work OK. As for the log, I have no idea what it's trying to say. Anyway, try what I suggested above and let us know.

Reaction score
It is indeed Mavericks related

chscag, you're incorrect. It IS Mavericks related. There are 100's of people posting about this same exact problem after upgrading to Mavericks...they can't all be coincidences. There is definitely a connection and Apple has yet to address it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Mavericks killed my hard drive.
Mavericks killed my audio.
Mavericks killed my optical drive.
Mavericks killed my external drive.
Mavericks killed my Airport Card.
Mavericks killed Bluetooth.

Wonder what will be next?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Wonder what will be next?

Nice summary Harry!;)

With the way folks are complaining about Mavericks. If Mavericks was so bad…no one would be running it. Funny thing is…there are probably millions of folks throughout the world running Mavericks just fine!:)

Sure…there most certainly are individual issues out there. But when issues are mostly individual. The issue is most likely not Mavericks…but something else.;)

- Nick

M

MacInWin

Mavericks did not kill my hard drive.
Mavericks did not kill my audio.
Mavericks did not kill my optical drive.
Mavericks did not kill my external drive.
Mavericks did not kill my Airport Card.
Mavericks did not kill Bluetooth.

I guess I'm just lucky that way!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh MacInWin just wait until to Yosemite starts killing all and sundry. I believe a lot of recent problems come about as a result of doing simple upgrade after uprarde after upgrade. Clean Install for moi!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually Harry, I'm surprised the pundits are not blaming their problems with Mavericks on the Bush Administration. That's been the Washington DC excuse for the last 6 years... :p

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Actually Harry, I'm surprised the pundits are not blaming their problems with Mavericks on the Bush Administration. That's been the Washington DC excuse for the last 6 years... :p

Give it time I'm sure someone will suggest it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Why make this issue personal? This has nothing to do with whether I am liberal or conservative. We are simply looking for answers.

Huh…??? It's pretty hard for anyone here to be accusing you of anything, especially with only one post here.

Maybe just grab a can of that compressed air/gas that was mentioned and use it yourself. It can clean up more than optical drives. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.