iphoto dead

Reaction score
My iphoto has decided to play dead. It is there is Applications and all photo files are complete but it refuses to open on screen although it is running. I've reset everything in file utilities and reloaded from the applications disk but no joy. Once it is running it will not shut down except by force quit and it stops the computer shutting down if this isn't done. Any ideas welcome.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My iphoto has decided to play dead. It is there is Applications and all photo files are complete but it refuses to open on screen although it is running. I've reset everything in file utilities and reloaded from the applications disk but no joy. Once it is running it will not shut down except by force quit and it stops the computer shutting down if this isn't done. Any ideas welcome.

May take a bit to sort through, but first we need more info:

1) Year, Model and Make of your Mac
2) OS X version
3) iPhoto version
4) Antivirurs or other software you are running
5) Hard Disk free space
6) Anything else that might help, especially what immediately preceded onset of your problem

OP
B
Reaction score
It is an iMac 9,1 bought new in June 2009 running OSX 10.6.8. The iPhoto was pre-installed and I can't access the version it is running. The anti-virus is Sophos Version 8.0.20C. There is 824GB available on the hard drive. The only thing that I can think of that preceded the problem was that the camera (Sony) memory was difficult to eject from the desktop, but this had happened several times before without incident.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Before we do anything else, try this (if you haven't already). Create a new library, then try shutting down iPhoto to see if it still hangs.

iPhoto '11: Create a new iPhoto library or switch between libraries

If you can open iPhoto in a new library without the problems you describe, then you may have a corrupted iPhoto Library file.

OP
B
Reaction score
I've created a new library but still no joy I'm afraid. iPhoto doesn't respond at all and will not shut down unless I use force quit applications. If I don't force quit, iPhoto prevents the computer shut down.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Download Onyx (link below for the version for Snow Leopard). Run it and see if it corrects the problem. If not, I would suggest deleting iPhoto (this won't affect your Library or photos) then download the OS X Combo Update and run that.

OnyX 2.4 Download

Link to Combo Update
http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1399

EDIT: After running the Combo Update (if Onyx doesn't fix things) I would download iPhoto from the Mac AppStore.
Running the Combo Update will overwrite potentially corrupted files and often fixes problems

OP
B
Reaction score
Right - I've run Onyx and this hasn't corrected the problem. I've downloaded the combo update, but I haven't deleted iPhoto as yet. Can you please advise how to do this? Is it as simple as dragging the icon from Apps to Trash? Would I be better advised to abandon trying to save iPhoto and instead simply buy iLife?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right - I've run Onyx and this hasn't corrected the problem. I've downloaded the combo update, but I haven't deleted iPhoto as yet. Can you please advise how to do this? Is it as simple as dragging the icon from Apps to Trash? Would I be better advised to abandon trying to save iPhoto and instead simply buy iLife?

Just dragging iPhoto to trash should do it. Don't think there are any extraneous files (plist etc) to worry about. Running Combo Update afterwards should overwrite any corrupted files. And, I would download iPhoto from the Mac App Store.
I don't remember actually being charged for it, but still, probably worth $15 to fix the problem (assuming it does).

EDIT: FWIW you could probably try running Combo Update without deleting iPhoto first to see if your problem goes away. You save $15 dollars that way

EDIT2: I am assuming when you created a new Library you followed the steps in the Link I gave you, but your system still got hung up

OP
B
Reaction score
Moved iPhoto to Trash, ran the Combo Update, reloaded iPhoto from applications disc and still it is playing dead. If I right click on JPG file and use "Open with..." it doesn't give iPhoto as an option. If I go to "Other" and select iPhoto nothing happens. Something, somewhere is blocking it completely. I have to assume that neither the photo library nor the iPhoto app is at fault so it has to be something in the OS. Do you think upgrading to Mountain Lion will get round this? Incidentally my thanks for your help - I am most grateful. Andrew.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Moved iPhoto to Trash, ran the Combo Update, reloaded iPhoto from applications disc and still it is playing dead. If I right click on JPG file and use "Open with..." it doesn't give iPhoto as an option. If I go to "Other" and select iPhoto nothing happens. Something, somewhere is blocking it completely. I have to assume that neither the photo library nor the iPhoto app is at fault so it has to be something in the OS. Do you think upgrading to Mountain Lion will get round this? Incidentally my thanks for your help - I am most grateful. Andrew.

The Combo Update should have fixed any OS related problems. Mountain Lion shouldn't make any difference. You might want to consider an upgrade to Mavericks anyway, but that's a separate discussion.
I would suspect a problem on your application disk and the iPhoto app on it.
If downloading iPhoto from the Mac App Store doesn't fix your problem, then I'm out of ideas at the moment, with one last thing to try.
Doing a PRAM and SMC reset will sometimes fix strange problems. I don't know that it will help here, but won't hurt to try.

Here are the links

Reseting PRAM
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Reseting SMC Controller
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

OP
B
Reaction score
I have done as you suggest and reset NVRAM and SMC Controller - again no joy. I could upgrade to Mavericks to see what happens but you seem to suggest that this is another issue - however, it is free and it might be a good idea anyway - any advice in this respect? I could then get a new iPhoto version or change to iLife or indeed use any photo app. I use this Mac for work exclusively and I am due to update to a new 27" iMac when one becomes available in the New Year so I don't really want to spend a fortune on this machine if I can help it. I would like it to work though as I will pass it on to daughter. Andrew.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry it didn't work out . . . I'm at a loss as to what is causing your problem.

On upgrading to Mavericks, your iMac is well capable. May want to look at boosting RAM depending on how much you already installed. You can run up to 8GB in that version.

Only issue would be compatibility of older software packages (if you are running any) with Mavericks.
And, always a good idea to backup your HD first.

OP
B
Reaction score
You and me both - it's a complete mystery. On Mavericks - this Mac has 4GB RAM and no software prior to Word/Excel 2008. I have a permanent Time Machine back-up so no problem there. I think I'll try Mavericks - it can't do any harm, and if iPhoto still won't work I'll get iLife from the Mac store. I'll let you know the outcome! Again thanks Andrew.

OP
B
Reaction score
Mavericks downloaded and installed - this time no Finder! What on earth am I doing wrong? If I open Finder the Toolbar is normal - the minute I click on anything to try to open it the toolbar dims and that's it. It seems there have been a lot of problems with Mavericks so I've tried updating and checking the various forums but nothing seems to work - any ideas? Andrew.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Did you update or do a clean install?

OP
B
Reaction score
I did an update and I have subsequently read somewhere on the forums that updates are troublesome.

Andrew.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
It may be that the best thing to do is to backup your data and do a clean install.

OP
B
Reaction score
The final note to this saga. I updated to Mavericks but Finder wouldn't work (or so I thought - as did Apple). What had actually happened was that the Finder listings were displaying on the 2nd screen (which wasn't turned on). Apparently Mavericks has changed both the way Finder displays its Menu bar and the way the 2nd screen works - it 'displays' even if the screen is off and if the Finder Menu bar is enabled on the 2nd screen (which it appears to be by default) then Finder won't work on the 1st screen. Word is working as well. Thanks to everyone who helped with this puzzle.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The final note to this saga. I updated to Mavericks but Finder wouldn't work (or so I thought - as did Apple). What had actually happened was that the Finder listings were displaying on the 2nd screen (which wasn't turned on). Apparently Mavericks has changed both the way Finder displays its Menu bar and the way the 2nd screen works - it 'displays' even if the screen is off and if the Finder Menu bar is enabled on the 2nd screen (which it appears to be by default) then Finder won't work on the 1st screen. Word is working as well. Thanks to everyone who helped with this puzzle.

Does that mean iPhoto is working too?

OP
B
Reaction score
To tell the truth in all the excitement over Mavericks I'd forgotten about iPhoto! Yes it is working but I have to update to a later version - this I have yet to explore but whatever was causing the problem in the first place appears to have been cured. At first glance Mavericks seems OK although some of the default items are going to confuse and personally I don't like the slimmed down scroll bars but this is minor and I guess I'll get used to it - there's probably a setting somewhere for the visually challenged! Again thanks to everyone for their assistance without which I would have been lost. Andrew.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.