Save iPhone contacts

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to save my iPhone contacts to my Mac. I have never synced or even connected my iPhone to the Mac and am worried I might loose everything on my phone.

Stats:

EMac power PC
OS X 10.5.8

ITunes

IPhone 4S

I have searched here and Apple, and I see a lot about the iPhone 5 etc...

I will be deploying to the Middle East and need to turn my phone in, but I have a lot of photos and all my telephone numbers on the phone.

Can any one tell me, with the hardware and software I have, if it is possible and if so how to do it.

Thanks

Greg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 10.9.4
Hi,
I am trying to save my iPhone contacts to my Mac. I have never synced or even connected my iPhone to the Mac and am worried I might loose everything on my phone.

While I don't have a good answer for you, I can tell you that plugging it in won't make you lose anything... it will prompt you before it does any of that.
If I were you, I would plug it in, use iPhoto to migrate all the photos to your computer.
Are you set up with iCloud?
To check go to icloud.com and key in your apple ID and password...
If you are, then all of your contacts should be right there and you can export them from iCloud.
If you aren't set up to back-up using iCloud, you can do that in your phone... go to settings and then there's an option for iCloud right there.
Hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh and when you export from iCloud, you first have to select all the contacts...
You do this by clicking on the gear (bottom-left) click select all then click the gear again and "export v-card", it will export all of your contacts to a file which you then can open with your contacts app in OSx...
Also, you can use iCloud for all of your photos too... provided you don't exceed the 5gb they allot to you.
You can buy more, but instead of doing that, I recommend something like Dropbox (https://db.tt/VTdJwLVj) That is the download for it...
What it does is allow you to sync everything across your devices but it does so very cooly. It is very similar to iCloud (iCloud is more functional I would say but Dropbox makes it so you don't have to keep all the photos on your phone and can still access them from anywhere... probably and maybe not the middle east. :(

C

chas_m

Flavacraze: No PowerPC user is going to be able to use their Mac to work with an iPhone 5 or iCloud.

gburham: the fundamental problem you have is that your machine is not compatible with the iPhone 5. If you are backing up to the iCloud account you created on the iPhone, then your contacts should be safe. Otherwise you have no backup and can't use your Mac for this purpose until you get a newer one that can run 10.6.8 or later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Flavacraze: No PowerPC user is going to be able to use their Mac to work with an iPhone 5 or iCloud.

That is good to know. Why is that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Read chas_m post again. A PowerPC Mac is not compatible because it can not run Snow Leopard (10.6.8).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You could always sync you iPhone to a Google account (create one afresh just for this purpose if you like).
Instructions here

Once you have synced them with a google account you can export them from there as a CSV file or as vcard files that can be saved on your Mac/imported back into various other applications etc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.