How do I label an Excel scatter chart x axis with time?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to create a scatter chart in Excel 2011, which has time along the X axis. My data are in minutes and seconds (e.g. 20:47). When I create the chart, the axis shows a very random division of the units (00:00, 02:53, 05:46, 08:38 ... 23:02). This obviously makes no sense at all (at least to a human!) and looks terrible.

I can't work out how to change it, as the options box (Format Axis / Scale) is in different units. The minimum is set to 0.0, the maximum to 0.016, the major unit is 0.0002, and the minor unit at 0.0004.

I have tried using both "time" and "custom" in the number category, with the custom being mm:ss, but neither makes any difference.

Ideally, the axis would go from 05:00 to 25:00 (mm:ss), and would be marked every 5 mins. Is this too much to ask???

BTW, I realise that I could fix this by just using seconds as my unit on the axis, but I don't think this is very meaningful to folks in the humanities (my subject area), so I'd really rather be able to work in minutes and seconds if that's possible.

Thank you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.