Can't open Excel or Outlook in Mavericks...

Reaction score
I went to Mavericks a month ago and now when i try to open Excel or Outlook I get a 'library not found' error and it doesn't open...

anyone have an idea??

I've updated the office and the osx...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What version of Mac Office are you running? And, how about Word and Powerpoint, can you open them? And last question... is Mac Office installed in your user applications folder?

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi, Mac Office 2011 version 14.3.9. I can open Word and Powerpoint but not Excel or Outlook.

How do I know if Mac Office is installed in my user applications folder??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you can open Word and Powerpoint, then Office 2011 is probably installed correctly - in your Applications folder. Sometimes folks install Office in other than their Applications folder and that causes problems.

To answer your original question, can you check to make sure Excel and Outlook are there?

/Macintosh HD/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Excel

/Macintosh HD/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Outlook

I'm also curious about the "Library not found" error your received. Kind of a cryptic error since I'm sure it's not referring to your User Library. If that was broken, nothing would run.
Come to think of it... it could refer to the Excel and Outlook Data Base files?

Let us know.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your help...

I may have fixed it by moving Excel and Outlook into the 'Office' folder...

I opened 'Finder' and then looked at "Applications" and found the 'Excel' and 'Outlook' Applications not in the "Microsoft Office 2011' Folder...

so I dragged them both into the Microsoft Office 2011 folder and they opened!

I don't know how they got out of the folder in the first place but it works now...

Thank you!

By the way, I like the plane avatar you have...what plan is that and is it yours??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, OK. The Library it was referring to was actually the Office 2011 folder. Anyway, glad you got it fixed. The aircraft is not mine (wish it was). It's a Douglas B-26D Invader which was in service from around the end of WW II up until the first few years of the Viet Nam war.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks again for the help.

My father flew the B26 I believe around the end of the Korean war. He is a retired United Pilot now...and he trains and certifies pilots in the B17, B29 and other aircraft today.

I got my license at the age of 18 and love to fly but I do not have the resources to do it often. I try to hitch along with my Dad when I can.

Take care and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.