Can't change iTunes store location due to imaginary movie rentals

Reaction score
I live in 2 countries: US and Denmark.

My AppleID is tied to my US life. Now I want to change my iTunes store location so I can download an app from the Danish iTunes store (related to the country's postal system).

I go into the Settings and want to change the country but it says I can't because I have movie rentals that haven't expired yet. I get the whole geographic-location-movie-rental issue but the thing I watched all the movies I rented a few days ago. In iTunes it does not list the movies so I can't even delete them.

Anybody know a good way to deal with this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I live in 2 countries: US and Denmark.

My AppleID is tied to my US life. Now I want to change my iTunes store location so I can download an app from the Danish iTunes store (related to the country's postal system).

I go into the Settings and want to change the country but it says I can't because I have movie rentals that haven't expired yet. I get the whole geographic-location-movie-rental issue but the thing I watched all the movies I rented a few days ago. In iTunes it does not list the movies so I can't even delete them.

Anybody know a good way to deal with this?

Create a 2nd Apple ID that is tied to your Danish life. Problem (should be) solved.

OP
T
Reaction score
Then I have to constantly log in and out…Apple offers a solution but it doesn't work.

Plus, what if I visit another country, need an app from the local store, and can't get it. I would be drowning in id's if that were the case.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Check to see if the movies are still currently present on your machine. Look in your iTunes folder (the Movies folder) and if they're there, delete them.

OP
T
Reaction score
That's the thing…I check that immediately and there were no movies. I DID rent some last week, but watched them and now they don't show up in iTunes.

So…I am wondering if I try again in about 1 month it will allow me to switch Apple Store locations. I would have thought that since I watched the movies Apple would know this and allow me to switch stores.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I found a brief note in Apple's forums regarding the problem. Movie rentals expire after 30 days and you cannot change your "country" until then.
https://discussions.apple.com/message/20029737#20029737

Now... once you've STARTED watching a rented movie, it should expire automatically after 48 hours, wholly watched or not. In another forum, I found some other tips. Other things that can trip you up are iTunes Match subscriptions and incomplete season passes for TV shows.
Switching an iTunes Store account to a different country | iLounge Article

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.