2008 black macbook swollen battery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 black macbook 2.4/2/250 running 10.7.5,
good evening, I have a 2008 black macbook that has the swollen battery problem, I called apple twice so far and heard that batteries are considered a replacement item and would have to be replaced at my cost. I just used online chat with apple and the advisor there set me up an appointment at my apple store for them to look at the swollen battery. I am wondering if anything will be done there, since i have found many web pages about this issue. maybe i should print them out and take them with? all i use is apple products so you would think they would be willing to replace the battery at no charge since it is a safety hazard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would say yes most of the time but your Mac is 5yrs old and most of us have had to replace our batteries at 3 and 4 years of age.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple is probably not going to replace your battery at no cost. If that's your thought, then perhaps you should replace it yourself. You can buy a replacement battery from OWC or Amazon. Your MacBook is 5 years old, long out of warranty and batteries are consumable items just like the battery in your car or its tires. No need to print out web pages about it.

OP
tornadochaser
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the funny thing is i never gave any thought to the battery since i was still getting about 4 hours of use from it until the computer refused to boot up 2 days ago, then i noticed the battery was sticking out from the bottom of the case. took the swollen battery out and reset the smc control and the computer works perfect on a/c power.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sometimes Apple will replace swollen batteries for free (even if the computer no longer has Applecare). But I'm thinking because this computer is 5+ years old...the chances of a free replacement are probably a lot lower.

But you never know...they may replace it for free...or do it for a reduced price.:)

- Nick

OP
tornadochaser
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i could see them not replacing it if it just wouldn't charge or hold a charge, but swelling up and trying to open its case is a safety hazard especially with lithium polymer batteries.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i could see them not replacing it if it just wouldn't charge or hold a charge, but swelling up and trying to open its case is a safety hazard especially with lithium polymer batteries.

Safety hazard or not...that's why you take it to an expert!:)

Compare this to an automobile. There are LOTS of things inexperienced automobile owners shouldn't repair on their cars (safety hazards). That's why you take it to an expert (auto mechanic) to have the repairs performed.

And just because something is a safety hazard on a car (that an owner shouldn't try to repair). Doesn't mean that the auto mechanic is going to do the repairs for free.

Works the same way at the Apple Store.:)

- Nick

OP
tornadochaser
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
true, probably will buy one if they won't replace it at no charge, but first i want to see what they say.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
true, probably will buy one if they won't replace it at no charge, but first i want to see what they say.

Of course...you never know...you may get lucky in one way or another!:)

Good luck...and please let us know how things turn out.:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

I have a slightly earlier model (2007) with the same problem. Through various interactions with Apple, I have gotten the impression that if the battery problem is being reported past its normal life expectancy, which appears to be about four years, then its your problem. If the swelling occurs (and is reported) within the battery's normal life expectancy, they will often replace it even if its out of warranty.

By all means give it a go, but be aware that an Apple Genius couldn't replace that battery for you on the spot even if they wanted to -- Apple stopped using that particular battery a long time ago. Your options are probably going to be a) replace it yourself or b) use it on the mains only until the rest of it dies.

You can get slightly-cheaper batteries for that machine from OWC (through their Newer Tech distribution deal) that are actually better than the original ones and aren't "knockoff deathtrap" badly-made imitation batteries you often see for cheap. But basically you're looking at $100+ to fix a computer that isn't worth much more than that anymore.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agree completely with Chas. Do take it in and see what they say but that battery is long discontinued. Can't hurt to try though. Also agree with the OWC suggestion. Also OWC stands behind their stuff!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would take a chance on a knock off battery from either Amazon or eBay. With a machine not worth more than $150, why spend another $100? You can get a battery that will last another year or so for around $50 from Amazon or eBay. Or, do like chas_m says and use it on AC only.

OP
tornadochaser
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the apple website still shows the macbook battery available in white and black. unless they forgot to remove it from the listings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Yes, the older MacBook batteries are still available, but pretty soon the last of the earlier MacBooks will be declared vintage and all spares withdrawn.

I've seen a few swollen MacBook batteries, but the quantity is minute compared to those that fail for other reasons or are consumed. Swollen/split batteries were/are very common on the non unibody 17" MacBook Pro, and Apple did have a time limited program covering their free replacement, but that has long expired. There has never been a program covering the MacBook batteries as there has never been a significant issue with them. For the OP, I would be extremely surprised if Apple replace your battery FOC.

OP
tornadochaser
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
a friend of mine told me to try to freeze it and see if it will shrink back to normal size, he had a battery from a dell that did that from being connected to a/c too long. froze it and it shrank back to normal size and worked ok for another 6 months. it is in the freezer now. if it doesn't work i will have to go to the apple store tomorrow and see what they say and either way get a battery.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And what happens if the frozen battery shrinks back to normal size and one day while using the MacBook, the battery bursts and destroys your computer?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
a friend of mine told me to try to freeze it and see if it will shrink back to normal size, he had a battery from a dell that did that from being connected to a/c too long. froze it and it shrank back to normal size and worked ok for another 6 months. it is in the freezer now. if it doesn't work i will have to go to the apple store tomorrow and see what they say and either way get a battery.

Well...this sounds like an interesting experiment...but... You seemed to be very concerned about "safety" in one of your previous posts. If safety is a big concern...this "experiment" would not seem to be a great idea.

The battery became swollen for some reason...and that reason is likely to continue if the battery is continued to be used.

You also need to remember...the swelling of the battery puts pressure on other components inside the computer (possibly causing damage)...and if the battery bursts & leaks onto other internal components...well that's not going to be good ether!

Bottom line. What originally was a battery replacement cost/issue...could turn into a very expensive repair...or...completely ruin the computer.

Food for thought,

- Nick

OP
tornadochaser
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
good point Nick.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
good point Nick.

I know replacement batteries can be expensive (I don't like buying them either).;) But it may be the least expensive route if something bad were to happen using the old battery.

Happy Trails,:)

- Nick

OP
tornadochaser
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thought i would update with the results... today was the third trip to the apple store about the battery issue.... the apple store tech looked at the battery said wow that is really swollen, ran a diagnostic check on the system with a known good battery then said let me see if we have a black battery in stock. within a couple of minutes he was opening the package and installing the battery. asked him how much and he said he is going to replace it at no charge. Apple customer service still rocks and there is no better computer system than Apple!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.