Reset External Keyboard Configuration?

Reaction score
I run OS X (10.8.5) on a Mac Book Pro (13-inch, mid 2010).

After a power outage, the attached external Apple keyboard stopped working. To isolate the problem, I attached a non-Apple external keyboard, which the Keyboard Setup Assistant enabled.

I want to attach a new external Apple keyboard. Thus, I need to reset the keyboard configuration.

A Google search suggested that to do it I should first delete the file "com.apple.keyboardtype.plist" and, then, attach the new external Apple keyboard, which the Keyboard Setup Assistant would enable.

Is this correct?

Thank you!

Doctor T

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure I understand why you need to reset the keyboard configuration? An Apple keyboard will work with your MacBook Pro right out of the box. You can delete that file if you wish as another will be created by the system.

OP
D
Reaction score
Dear Chscag,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Is the file name correct?

Doctor T

M

MacInWin

Before you go deleting system files, have you tried just attaching the Apple keyboard again? The system should, as chscag said, work with an Apple keyboard without you having to muck around in system files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.