internal harddrive won´t boot, but harddrive is okay

Reaction score
Hi. Maybe someone can help. My internal harddrive is okay, but it won´t boot my OS X anymore. If I boot from my external harddrive, I can see my internal on the desktop. I can access and open files. Is there a way to repair the operating system without having to reinstall everything. I don´t want to lose my dashboard stuff and ICal. Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Are there any error messages when you try to boot from your internal drive, or are there any visual signs?
What changes have you made to the system that will now prevent it from booting ?
What OS version are your running ?
Are you running bootcamp ?
The external harddrive you are booting from , is that a bootable clone from your internal disk. If so, and the clone is recent, then you can restore from there.

There is not much info in your original post, hence all my questions.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi McBie,

thank you so much for your answer. No erros messages when I boot from my internal drive. It won't boot in safe mode neither.
I have made no changes to the system. The battery ran out of power, I went home, hooked the computer up to my charger. Power On, not booting, just Apple sign and waiting and waiting. I am running 10.6.8. No bootcamp.
External harddrive is not a clone, I have 10.8 installed on my external, but as said, I can see the internal and everything is available, like files and folders and applications. I just can't boot.
I also took the internal harddrive out of my computer and hooked it up to a docking station, same thing, doesn't boot.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Claudio

Are there any error messages when you try to boot from your internal drive, or are there any visual signs?
What changes have you made to the system that will now prevent it from booting ?
What OS version are your running ?
Are you running bootcamp ?
The external harddrive you are booting from , is that a bootable clone from your internal disk. If so, and the clone is recent, then you can restore from there.

There is not much info in your original post, hence all my questions.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
To keep things simple ....
1) Copy your data and apps from the internal disk... in other words, make a full backup
2) Re-install an OS on your internal
3) Restore the data and apps from your backup in point 1

Cheers ... McBie

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you. I can do that. I am just wondering if all my stickies in my dashboard will be saved, same thing for my ICal notes.

Cheers.
Claudio

Hi McBie,

thank you so much for your answer. No erros messages when I boot from my internal drive. It won't boot in safe mode neither.
I have made no changes to the system. The battery ran out of power, I went home, hooked the computer up to my charger. Power On, not booting, just Apple sign and waiting and waiting. I am running 10.6.8. No bootcamp.
External harddrive is not a clone, I have 10.8 installed on my external, but as said, I can see the internal and everything is available, like files and folders and applications. I just can't boot.
I also took the internal harddrive out of my computer and hooked it up to a docking station, same thing, doesn't boot.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Claudio

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you boot from the Snow Leopard CD or the external drive can you "See" the hard drive using Disk Utility? If so try using it to verify and repair the hard drive.

MCBie's suggestion of backing up your files should preserve your iCal calendars and stickies database as long as you back up the files in the Library folder that is within your user folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.