powermac 5500

M

Marko

Hi all

I would like to setup my old 5500 "OS9.1" and it has PCI Ethernet card but when I go to tcp/ip I can't see ethernet...
so I think I need to install pci drivers.
does anyone have drivers I need... if yes...
please email it to [email protected]

many thanks in advance

with best wishes

Marko

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The maker of the card should have the drivers. Also check your extensions, turn off the old ethernet card and enable the new ethernet card if it is there.

OP
M

Marko

rman said:
The maker of the card should have the drivers. Also check your extensions, turn off the old ethernet card and enable the new ethernet card if it is there.

thanks for your reply

I don't know maker of the card.. It came with the machine and it has Apple logo.
I tried to look Apple website and also google it but its really difficult because don't know excatly what I'm looking for.
Mayby someone has this old model and/or original disks that came with machine.

I tried to look extensions but it has just normal ethernet driver and I think I need PCI ehternet drivers...

many thanks

Marko

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I forgot the name of the maker of my card. I did install drivers, but I don't know if they were PCI drivers.

When you try to set up the network, do you have a choice of network cards?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
THREAD MOVED

and now back to your regularly scheduled progam.........

OP
M

Marko

rman said:
I forgot the name of the maker of my card. I did install drivers, but I don't know if they were PCI drivers.

When you try to set up the network, do you have a choice of network cards?

when I go to tcpip it says that there is no network card and macip will be used.
I just wonder if someone has original cd's that came with 5500 or if there is any site where I can download drivers...
I couldn't find anything from Apple web site and google it is abit difficult cause I don't know excatly what card it is.

Is there any software that I can run and it will tell me information about hardware.?

many thanks in advance

Marko

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The PCI card I have for my G3 PowerMac, I think I got it from Asante. You might try one of their drivers .

OP
C

Colonel Hogan

re: 5500

Marko said:
Hi all

I would like to setup my old 5500 "OS9.1" and it has PCI Ethernet card but when I go to tcp/ip I can't see ethernet...
so I think I need to install pci drivers.
does anyone have drivers I need... if yes...
please email it to [email protected]

Marko

I've been having similar problems trying to set up a PM5500.

Have you tried going to AppleTalk Control Panel and selecting the Ethernet Card from there first before you select it in the TCP/IP CP?

Also, you mention that it's the Apple card. Is it in the PCI slot laying flat across the Motherboard, or the Comms slot which makes the card sit upright on the right of the M/b?

The Comms slot was used for the modem or an ethernet card.

To tell, just look at the back and is the ethernet plug slot on the far lower right or is it somewhere in the middle?

I found that installing a e/net card in the PCI slot via the Angled Adapter, the Mac wouldn't see it, but finding an e/net card that fitted in the Comms slot, then the Mac would see it. (go figure)

Unfortunately, I've been trying to get a Cable setup happening, but am still having probs getting the card to connect to the Cable Modem, so I'm still none the wiser.

Hope I've been of some help. Let me know how you get on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.