Help with TC and Little Black Box

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM
I am setting up the little black box on my tv and I am to the part where I can see my time capsule on the little black bock add network screen, but I can not get it to show my folders for tv and movie I want to add. I know my time capsule is showing up because it is a shared device, but I don't know how to share what's inside it. Please help! :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem! Hope someone has some ideas! :)

I don't have any exoerience with the "Little Black Box"...otherwise I would suggest something. What I will ask is...have you done any searches with Google?

Instead of waiting hours or days for a response here (possibily)...a 5min or less internet search may provide you with an answer. Search for something like:

- Little Black Box setup
- Little Black Box and Macintosh
- Little Black Box and Time Capsule
- Little Black Box and Time Capsule setup

By doing this...you may get the info you need. Or these searches will lead you to additional searches which may eventually get you an answer.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One other thing I would suggest. Make 100% sure all your equipment (TV, Little Black Box, and TC) are compatible with each other. Such as having all the latest updates (software & firmware) for the Little Black Box and the TC.

- Nick

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have any exoerience with the "Little Black Box"...otherwise I would suggest something. What I will ask is...have you done any searches with Google?

Instead of waiting hours or days for a response here (possibily)...a 5min or less internet search may provide you with an answer. Search for something like:

- Little Black Box setup
- Little Black Box and Macintosh
- Little Black Box and Time Capsule
- Little Black Box and Time Capsule setup

By doing this...you may get the info you need. Or these searches will lead you to additional searches which may eventually get you an answer.:)

- Nick

I have been googling all day, my little fingers are about to fall off! However, I have not used the search terms you suggested above, so I will try those. Thank you so much for trying to help!;D

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One other thing I would suggest. Make 100% sure all your equipment (TV, Little Black Box, and TC) are compatible with each other. Such as having all the latest updates (software & firmware) for the Little Black Box and the TC.

- Nick

I will double check that. I know the Little Black Box is up to date on software/firmware. How do I make sure the TC is? :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I am "assuming" here that you have managed to get the Box connected to the internet already and now you're trying to share the music, video, etc. that you have stored locally.

My best guess, you're going to need to install XBMC Media Center on your Mac and get that set up to share with the Box.

Based only on my experience setting up DLNA servers, in Windows and in OS X, can only suggest you do what I ended up doing.
If all your local stuff is in iTunes - Send it back - get an Apple TV and a Roku.
Those 2 devices will save you just a whole bunch of time and headaches vs getting a DLNA server up and running and working properly.

If there's no owner's manual that came with - you're going to need to find a user's forum for that device.

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am "assuming" here that you have managed to get the Box connected to the internet already and now you're trying to share the music, video, etc. that you have stored locally.

My best guess, you're going to need to install XBMC Media Center on your Mac and get that set up to share with the Box.

Based only on my experience setting up DLNA servers, in Windows and in OS X, can only suggest you do what I ended up doing.
If all your local stuff is in iTunes - Send it back - get an Apple TV and a Roku.
Those 2 devices will save you just a whole bunch of time and headaches vs getting a DLNA server up and running and working properly.

If there's no owner's manual that came with - you're going to need to find a user's forum for that device.

Hi, Bob! Thanks or responding. Yes, I've connected to the internet and am able to see my computers and my time capsule, I am just unable to see what is inside them.

The Little Black Box actually is a device that plays XBMC, so I don't need to run it off my Mac (although I do have it on there from when I first start using it).

Basically I am setting up XBMC on the Little Black Box and missing some steps. I've verified that the console is compatible with my time capsule and my Mac, that the firmware/software is up to date and the only thing left I need to verify is if the software/firmware is up to date on the TC.

I've been on the user forum for the item and there have been some very helpful people, but as we all know sometimes you can't help some without actually being on their computer or seeing what the problem is. :/

Can Roku or Apple TV play XBMC? That is the whole reason I purchased this console, because I want to watch XBMC on my tvs without having to stream from my laptop.

Any help, tips, or advice would be lovely! I didn't realize that Apple TV was called lbb, so when I saw the reviews about how great it worked, silly me thought it was about the item I bought. :'(

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need the "Airport Utility" app (it's free and an Apple app):

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/airport-utility/id427276530

Within the app...there's an "Update" button or an "Firmware Update" button. This will update the TC to the latest if it doesn't already have it.

- Nick

Hey, Nick! I do have Airport Utility and I checked the settings and it is set to update weekly, I just changed it to daily in case something recent has happened.

Thank you again SO much for trying to help!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
????

Don't have a clue what you mean by watching XBMC.
Watching XBMC would be pretty boring.
XBMC is only an application that allows you to watch content streamed either from the web or your locally stored content.

You are correct in one thing - since I don't have one of those boxes and there is no owner's manual online, don't have a clue how it operates. But, it the version of XBMC on that device is the client app and not the server app, it's not going to see what is stored on any hard drive.

There is nothing any place on their site that talks about being able to stream your locally stored data from Windows, OS X, an external hard drive, etc.

Plus, if your TC only contains your TM backups, even though that backup may contain your music/videos, XBMC definitely is not going to be able to delve into that backup, nor should it.

On the site, it specifically states for iOS and Android devices, they need the XBMC app installed in order to stream direct (or can stream via airplay with iOS). Unless you have been getting info from their forum that it should be able to pull data from a Windows or OS X desktop without any further installation of XBMC, still think that is what you need.

If you can get through all the hassle of getting XBMC set up and working, it will have much more functionality and I think a much better interface than either the Roku or Apple TV. It is not going to be anywhere near the ease of use of either of them.

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
????

Don't have a clue what you mean by watching XBMC.
Watching XBMC would be pretty boring.
XBMC is only an application that allows you to watch content streamed either from the web or your locally stored content.

You are correct in one thing - since I don't have one of those boxes and there is no owner's manual online, don't have a clue how it operates. But, it the version of XBMC on that device is the client app and not the server app, it's not going to see what is stored on any hard drive.

There is nothing any place on their site that talks about being able to stream your locally stored data from Windows, OS X, an external hard drive, etc.

Plus, if your TC only contains your TM backups, even though that backup may contain your music/videos, XBMC definitely is not going to be able to delve into that backup, nor should it.

On the site, it specifically states for iOS and Android devices, they need the XBMC app installed in order to stream direct (or can stream via airplay with iOS). Unless you have been getting info from their forum that it should be able to pull data from a Windows or OS X desktop without any further installation of XBMC, still think that is what you need.

If you can get through all the hassle of getting XBMC set up and working, it will have much more functionality and I think a much better interface than either the Roku or Apple TV. It is not going to be anywhere near the ease of use of either of them.

Obviously I misspoke about watching XBMC. :) You will have to forgive me as I am loaded up on pain pills right now, waiting to find out if I am going to have neck surgery, so a little room for error would be appreciated. :) I meant it has the XBMC program in the console, which you in turn need to configure to work with your system. I have talked to several people on their forums who do just as I am trying to do- have the console pull from their wireless hard drives.

My time capsule is partitioned, one part back up, the other part storage. I do know that I can't pull back up tv shows and movies out to stream, I am not quite that computer illiterate. ;)

I have been working with another user on their forum who is on a OS X and is doing the same thing I am trying to do, I am just having more trouble setting it up than he did. I came over here because I've always received a lot of great suggestions and help and was hoping to do so this time as well.

My only purpose of purchasing this system is strictly to use XBMC to stream movies/tv shows. If there is an easier way to do this, besides setting up a dedicated server, I would love to hear it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For watching your locally stored movies/TV shows:

If they are in iTunes - Apple TV is by far the easiest way.
If they are not all iTunes compatible - an XBMC system should be a good choice.
Keeps you from having to re-encode all your videos.

XBMC is what I used on my Windows HTPC for a couple of years.
That's about 3 years ago. Although, I still use a Win box as an iTunes server.

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For watching your locally stored movies/TV shows:

If they are in iTunes - Apple TV is by far the easiest way.
If they are not all iTunes compatible - an XBMC system should be a good choice.
Keeps you from having to re-encode all your videos.

XBMC is what I used on my Windows HTPC for a couple of years.
That's about 3 years ago. Although, I still use a Win box as an iTunes server.

None of my shows are in iTunes. They are mkv files, which don't seem to work in iTunes. :(

I am currently using my old dell laptop as a slave to download all files and they are all saving onto my time capsule. To watch them, I use XBMC on my MacBook Pro, either by hooking it to the tv or just watching on the laptop.

I love the XBMC interface, I just need to find a console that has it installed and is more user friendly. LOL

I was a PC girl back in the day and knew my way forwards and backwards, could take those suckers apart and put them back together with no issues. I'm new to the Mac world (about 5 years) and also to a lot of the new technology.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That makes a lot more sense. XBMC does have a nice interface.

Don't give up on it yet. Keep working with those in their forum willing to help out.

Good luck with it.

(Shouldn't have anything to do with the TC needing a firmware update - particularly if XBMC on your Mac uses those files without any problem.)

OP
cherry_bomb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That makes a lot more sense. XBMC does have a nice interface.

Don't give up on it yet. Keep working with those in their forum willing to help out.

Good luck with it.

(Shouldn't have anything to do with the TC needing a firmware update - particularly if XBMC on your Mac uses those files without any problem.)

Thanks, Bob! It'd be nice if the admins or senior members on their forum would answer questions, there are dozens of them going unanswered for weeks at a time. It's definitely not like this community, which I think is part of my frustration! LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Not sure what you've done up to this point but first you need to go into airport utility - manual settings and enable file sharing. Make a note of the username and password used

Now open XBMC on your little black box.
Go to Videos - Files - Add Video Source.
Click Browse - Add network location
Select Apple Filing Protocol (AFP)
In the server address put your Time Capsule IP Address and enter you username and password when prompted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.