giving an iPad 2 (wi-fi) only to someone else

Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 (wi-fi only) with an ATT account. I'm thinking of giving it to an elderly friend who is on the Verizon network. She has DISH Internet in her home.

Bottom line: I want to think that there's no issue since the IPad is wi-fi only. Am I correct? Are there other issues I should be aware of? thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Since it's a WiFi only iPad, AT&T, Verizon or Dish that you mentioned has no bearing on the device itself.

The only thing that matters is that your friend has a WiFi network to which she can the iPad to so that it can get to the Internet.

Short of that, you just need to restore the iPad 2 to the New state so that she can configure it as appropriate.

Plug the iPad 2 into iTunes, go to Devices and then click Restore. When the Restore process finishes it will give you the option to restore from a backup or setup as a new device, choose the latter option and then you can hand it off..

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
If it has been updated to iOS 7, be sure to turn off Find my iPhone/iPad in Settings before hand.

EDIT: After you have it ready (all your files backed-up and Find my iPhone turned off) no need to use iTunes to clear. Just go to Reset under the Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content

OP
F
Reaction score
giving an iPad 2 (wi-fi) only to someone else

Thanks guys for the quick reply. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Not to hijack this thread but a related question - in the next month or so I'll be replacing my iPad 2 w/ a new Air - the old iPad is running updated iOS 7 - I was planning to backup the iPad 2 via cabled iTunes, and then restore to the new Air - however, my wife would like the iPad 2 mainly as a 'reader' (her Mini is rather small for reading magazine subscriptions).

So, if I'm planning to keep the iPad 2, should I just rename the new Air so when I backup the device there is no confusion w/ the old one? I'm assuming that w/ a different names iTunes will not be confused - thanks. Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So, if I'm planning to keep the iPad 2, should I just rename the new Air so when I backup the device there is no confusion w/ the old one? I'm assuming that w/ a different names iTunes will not be confused - thanks. Dave

You can do that if you like, but from experience, iTunes will have no trouble telling them apart. I must have used at least a dozen various iPods with iTunes all bearing the same name, and iTunes can tell them apart because it reads the SN of each device.

But for the sake of keeping your backups separate, I would assign them different names anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
You can do that if you like, but from experience, iTunes will have no trouble telling them apart. I must have used at least a dozen various iPods with iTunes all bearing the same name, and iTunes can tell them apart because it reads the SN of each device.

But for the sake of keeping your backups separate, I would assign them different names anyway.

Thanks Chscag - I assume that iTunes tracked something unique to each device like a MAC number or the S/N as you indicated. I'll be taking some apps/data off the old iPad and putting my iPod music onto the new one, so backups will certainly be different - name change sounds fine to me. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.