Pages: Saving Woes

Reaction score
I'm currently working on a pages document that I pulled off a USB. When I try to exit the document I get the following message:

"The document “YaddaYaddaYadda” is on a volume that does not support permanent version storage.
You will not be able to access older versions of this document once you close it."

I'm guessing that I'm getting this message because the USB doesn't allow the previous version feature of Pages. The problem that I'm having is that I would like to save the document on my MAC in the Document folder but there's no "Save As" feature.

Once I learn how to save the document in the "Documents" folder, I'll save all future progress there and only use the USB to physically carry around the most current version of the document.

M

MacInWin

You didn't say what version of Pages, but on my version (the latest), under File is "Move to..." which lets you set where to save the file in question.

OP
B
Reaction score
You didn't say what version of Pages, but on my version (the latest), under File is "Move to..." which lets you set where to save the file in question.

Version 5.0 (1465).

Thx... the "Move to" feature was there, and it worked.

C

chas_m

Also, in recent versions of Pages, holding the option key down while accessing the File menu reveals the "Save As" feature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Also, in recent versions of Pages, holding the option key down while accessing the File menu reveals the "Save As" feature.

Second the above option - attached is a timed Grab screen image of the File menu in Pages while I was holding the Option key - works great, plus allows saving in a different location. Dave :)

Pages_SaveAS.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Nice tip chas, I learned something new.

OP
B
Reaction score
Second the above option - attached is a timed Grab screen image of the File menu in Pages while I was holding the Option key - works great, plus allows saving in a different location. Dave :)

Thanks sooooooooo much to you and Chas_m

1 Question: Why do they hide the feature????

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
1 Question: Why do they hide the feature????

I think the re-design of Pages to make it more in line with its iOS cousin has caused some of the more common things we did before to become less apparent.

However, after the recent update to 5.01, and a bit of practice with the new version, I've become used to the "newness". The only vital thing I miss is that for some reason Apple removed the scripting from Pages, so that now "Services" no longer works. But I think they'll eventually get around to restoring it. (I hope.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.