Problem with Boot Camp and Support Software

Reaction score
I'm having some trouble getting Boot Camp working to partition my drive. I have a 2.66GHz MacBook Pro from 2010, still running OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).

When I try to download the Windows support software, it says:

"Download could not continue. The Windows support software is not available."

This is strange. Is it because I'm on Snow Leopard still? I am looking to install Vista only (for an older Windows game) and don't want the newest version of Windows at all. Also, I don't have the option of using my old Mac install disk, as I lost it ages ago.

Does anyone know what's going on or how I can get around this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The support software is already on your Snow Leopard DVD. Just insert the DVD after you install Vista and the drivers will upload automatically. Afterward, open the Boot Camp control panel applet and run update. That will update the drivers and Boot Camp to the latest.

Also, don't know why you're insisting on using Vista? Just because that game recommends Vista doesn't mean you couldn't run XP or Windows 7 instead. I wouldn't install Vista on anything, even a Windows machine. It's one of the worst versions of Windows perhaps even than Windows ME.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Skip Vista. At least go with XP!:)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
I'd way prefer XP to be honest, so if it'll work I'll go for it. Cheaper I bet, too.

Sadly I don't have the Snow Leopard DVD anymore. I've moved quite a few times and am not sure where it is, likely lost. Is there a way around this?

OP
G
Reaction score
Could this be avoided by simply downloading Mavericks? I am very, very, very reluctant to re-purchase something I already own (albeit something misplaced or lost).

Also, does anyone know anywhere online I can buy a version of Windows XP for super cheap? US/Canada both work! (5 min from border)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, downloading Mavericks will not help except of course unless you wish to upgrade. You're telling us that you don't want to spend $19.99 to get a new Snow Leopard DVD that you lost or misplaced? In that case, all we can advise you is to find the original.

OP
G
Reaction score
Who in the right mind would "want" to spend $20 buying a DVD containing intellectual property they've already purchased the right to use? I'm amazed someone actually had to paraphrase that reluctance to understand it.

Regardless, I'm more interested in finding a cheap copy of Windows XP. Any recommendations for how to obtain one would be greatly appreciated. I gather older software can often be obtained at a considerable discount.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well if you go after 'older' software make sure it has never been activated as the same Microsoft product code requirements exist for running via BootCamp.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks, Harry... That was one of my concerns. I'm quite confused as to what's legit (and legal) and what isn't.

For instance, I see some places like Amazon selling XP for over $200 (!!!), while others sell it on eBay for around $20.

Does anyone know of a good software site where the program can be obtained for cheap? Preferably the simplest Home version.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Cheap" licensed software usually means it's either a pirated duplicate copy or one that has been previously activated. You pay for what you get. eBay copies of XP for $20 are almost guaranteed to not pass the Microsoft Genuine copy validation. You get what you pay for.

Who in the right mind would "want" to spend $20 buying a DVD containing intellectual property they've already purchased the right to use? I'm amazed someone actually had to paraphrase that reluctance to understand it.

Then I suggest you call Apple and explain. Perhaps they'll send you a replacement set of Snow Leopard disks for free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.