iPhone 5s Walmart Black Friday

Reaction score
I'm looking to switch from a Sprint iPhone 4 to a pre-paid iPhone 5s or 5c. If I purchase a 5s or 5c at Walmart on Black Friday and select a Verizon 5s or 5c, can I then pay $114 for 5s (with gift card) upfront or $-35 for 5c, the $350 ETF and $36 activation and have a 5c or 5s unlocked and able to use on any of the Verizon or AT&T pre-paids?

Sorry if this is confusing, it is confusing to me too. I wasn't going to spend full price for 5s at $650+, but I would spend $500 this deal works out to if it works like I think it does.

Is the 5c unlocked the same as the 5s, as I could get a 5c for $351 in this scenario?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't answer your other questions but if you purchase a Verizon iPhone 5s or 5c pre-paid you can not use it with AT&T or T-Mobile. You'll need to ask the customer service rep at Wal-Mart about your other concerns.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
The Verizon iPhone 5S is fully unlocked and can be used with a GSM SIM within the US. There are no restrictions on the 5S (Verizon model only).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@John:

Are you sure the Verizon 5s or 5c is unlocked? When I checked with Verizon they told me it could be unlocked after the contract was fulfilled. I know that as long as it is locked, you can not use a GSM sim card in it. Or maybe I'm confusing a subsidized iPhone with one that's pre-paid?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
One thing that I can tell you is that the on contract 5S is unlocked . I have not tried with a 5C, but I can have my daughter try with hers. Verizon will not tell you that it is unlocked, but it is. Does VZW offer a pre-paid 5S package?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, maybe Verizon doesn't want you to know it's unlocked because they definitely told me that I would have to complete my contract before they would unlock a 5s or 5c. Which is why I decided not to get one from them. They do have pre-paid for the 4s and 5 which they sell thru various vendors, at least around here. I haven't seen a 5s or 5c pre-paid from Verizon. I'm not sure, but I think T-Mobile offers a pre-paid plan for the 5s.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
OK, maybe Verizon doesn't want you to know it's unlocked because they definitely told me that I would have to complete my contract before they would unlock a 5s or 5c. Which is why I decided not to get one from them. They do have pre-paid for the 4s and 5 which they sell thru various vendors, at least around here. I haven't seen a 5s or 5c pre-paid from Verizon. I'm not sure, but I think T-Mobile offers a pre-paid plan for the 5s.

I agree they don't want you to know as they want your $$$. :D I'm going to PM you a link to another site that really goes into detail on the subject and can really answer some questions. I know there was some FCC wrangling that changed a few things with Verizon, and I will try to dig up that info.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

For a bit of clarity, my intent would be to by a contract Verizon 5s. Then cancel the contract and pay the ETF. At that point, I'd have a Verizon 5s, which my understanding is would be unlocked, for $500 rather than $649. I'd then put in a sim for a pre-paid like Straight Talk, Net10 etc. and use that service, rather than the more expensive Verizon.

I'd basically just be trying to save some money with the Black Friday deal.

C

chas_m

Thanks for the replies.

For a bit of clarity, my intent would be to by a contract Verizon 5s. Then cancel the contract and pay the ETF. At that point, I'd have a Verizon 5s, which my understanding is would be unlocked, for $500 rather than $649. I'd then put in a sim for a pre-paid like Straight Talk, Net10 etc. and use that service, rather than the more expensive Verizon.

I'd basically just be trying to save some money with the Black Friday deal.

I very much doubt this scheme is going to work. By buying a Verizon iPhone on contract, they will almost certainly lock it. If you pay the ETF, my guess would be that you will have to pay a hefty fee to get it "factory unlocked" so that it can be used with other carriers.

If the phone has a return period or cancellation period where you can get out of the deal, by all means get one, try it with a friend's SIM card and see if you can connect to AT&T or T-Mob. But don't get stuck in a deal you can't get out of that doesn't accomplish what you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
The Verizon phones are not locked, so there is no factory unlock or hefty fee that applies here. The Verizon iPhone is the best one to get as it will work anywhere with the exception of Sprint (who cares) right out of the box.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.