Sleep or Shutdown? Macbook Air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
Hey everyone,

I just picked up a tricked out MBA (i7, 8gb, 512gb). Took a couple of days to get everything setup for it after downloading gigabytes worth of programs, data, etc.

Anyway, this will not be my primary computer as I use my iMac throughout the day.

So my question, is it better to:

a) Click on Apple and 'Shutdown'
b) Click on Apple and 'Sleep'
c) Simply close the lid

Which one is better? Does one tax the hard drive or display or batter better/worse than the other?

Thanks for the help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick!

Yeah, I just usually let my iMac go to sleep and very rarely shut it down.

But I won't be using my MBA anywhere near the same as my iMac. In fact, I could go a few days without using it at all.

What is the harm of shutting it down if I may ask? Or rather, why don't you recommend it?

Thank you for the info!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I just usually let my iMac go to sleep and very rarely shut it down.

That works too!:)

But I won't be using my MBA anywhere near the same as my iMac. In fact, I could go a few days without using it at all.

What is the harm of shutting it down if I may ask? Or rather, why don't you recommend it?

In your initial post you didn't mention the frequency of use for your MBA. If you think that you will go multiple days without using it...then shutting it down would be ok. But sleeping it would be ok too.

Technically waking from sleep is faster. But with flash storage (like your MBA has) even starting the computer "cold" is pretty fast. You of course use less electricity when shutting down vs. sleeping (but this is really small in terms of $$$).

- Nick

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
My wife's MBA has been shut down about 5 times in the last three years, so sleep is always fine.

I think official guidance is to switch off if you won't be using it for 5+ days.

C

chas_m

Apple guidance isn't that specific, but as a rule of thumb I usually figure more than three full days. Since I'm VERY rarely away from my computer for that long, that works for me.

Having said that, when I lived in Florida (lightning capital of North America if not the world), I would unplug the machine from the mains during severe weather (which we got a lot). Even though I had a UPS on it in normal use. There are some things even a UPS can't overcome. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would unplug the machine from the mains during severe weather (which we got a lot). Even though I had a UPS on it in normal use. There are some things even a UPS can't overcome.

Good advice. I do the same here in the Dallas Fort Worth area of Texas as we get thunderstorms and lightning in the Spring and Fall that sound like WW III. Otherwise, I just put my iMac to sleep.

Reaction score
Apple guidance isn't that specific, but as a rule of thumb I usually figure more than three full days. Since I'm VERY rarely away from my computer for that long, that works for me.

Having said that, when I lived in Florida (lightning capital of North America if not the world), I would unplug the machine from the mains during severe weather (which we got a lot). Even though I had a UPS on it in normal use. There are some things even a UPS can't overcome. :)

Thumbs up on that... I lived in north FL for a few years, and made quite a few service calls for systems which were attached to VERY expensive UPS/surge protection systems... most of them never saw what hit 'em... :)

my rule of thumb is if it's a desktop, shut it down if you're awya for more than 48hrs.. if a laptop, well..... i'm never away from my laptop for more than 12-18hrs.. I reboot annually, whether it's needed or not.... :D

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You guys are great! Thanks for all the advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
For as long as I can remember I operate the same sequence
1) Open the lid
2) Do work
3) Close the lid
Next day, start at 1 :)
I only actually boot my machine when Apple Software Update asks me to do so.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
Slightly off topic - when my iMac is sleeping, it periodically wakes up for a minute or so (probably every few hours). Do you guys know why?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slightly off topic - when my iMac is sleeping, it periodically wakes up for a minute or so (probably every few hours). Do you guys know why?

- Do you have an external input device plugged into it?
- Is it really asleep (maybe the screen is just dark)? Sometimes web pages with reoccurring video's/commercials playing can cause a display that looks like it is sleeping to "wake up".
- Do you have a cat?;)
- Do you have any sort of alarm set on the computer?

Just some random stuff to consider.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
What still remains running when it is in Sleep?

I power mine Off, and then turn off the power strip with all my (few) accessories.

I swear that I read somewhere, possibly in the material which came with my iMac, Apple's "official" recommendation is to just put it in Sleep.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What still remains running when it is in Sleep?

The sleep light (if your computer has one).;)

I swear that I read somewhere, possibly in the material which came with my iMac, Apple's "official" recommendation is to just put it in Sleep.

If this is the case...why are you powering your computer off??

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powering off because I'm a skinflint! :Evil: I enjoy, and am fascinated by the game of energy efficiency, in all areas of living -- this is one of those.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powering off because I'm a skinflint! :Evil: I enjoy, and am fascinated by the game of energy efficiency, in all areas of living -- this is one of those.

Well I can't necessarily argue with that (if it can be proven that you're actually saving money in the long run).;)

But I do think that it takes more energy to start a computer "cold" like you are...then waking it from sleep. Of course "technically" this would be offset a little bit by the small amount of energy used while sleeping.

Also "technically" starting a computer "cold" (shut down state) does put more wear & tear on the hard drive in the long run. It has to go thru the complete booting process when booting...versus not having to when waking from sleep.

We're talking a lot of VERY small numbers here (both ways)...which may not really translate into any meaningful dollars in a "realistic world".

The biggest downside to shutting a computer down (versus sleep)...is it takes more time before you are able to use the computer. With a "sleeping computer"...you can use it almost instantly.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree that starting electronic items cold may cost energy and the sudden surge of power may not be good for the item. However, cumulatively, my antics have paid off in lowering my electric bill.

Also, cannot see how a spinning hard drive never stopping (Sleep) would wear out less fast than shutting it down; a stopped mechanical device does not wear out.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, cannot see how a spinning hard drive never stopping (Sleep) would wear out less fast than shutting it down; a stopped mechanical device does not wear out.

This may be because you don't fully understand how computers work.;)

- Firstly...when the computer is put to sleep...the hard drive does stop spinning.

- Secondly...(ignoring energy consumption)...the way to get the most "life" (hours/days/years) out of a hard drive is for it to NEVER stop spinning. Starting a hard drive from zero rpm's is when most of the wear & tear occurs.

- Thirdly...starting a hard drive from a cold state (computer has been shut down)...requires the computer to do a complete booting. This means that the computer must search & retrieve all of the info/files to boot the computer. This means that the hard drives read/write heads (mechanical devices) need to "flutter" back & forth to find the info. If the computer was put to "Sleep"...then all of this file/info retrieval is not necessary...since the computer is already booted (less wear & tear on the HD read/write heads).

In a realistic & practical world...these things probably have somewhat minor advantages to an individual user. But in a laboratory environment...there most likely are measureable differences.

I'm only explaining this since you mentioned not understanding.:)

- Nick

p.s. If want to continue to completely shut down your computer...go for it.:) As I mentioned earlier...the biggest advantage to "sleeping" a computer is that you are able to use it much faster.

There are many many many times that my computers are sleeping...and I may be heading out the door...and all I want is a:

- quick answer to a question
- send a quick e-mail
- quickly check my e-mail
- get the weather forecast quickly
- etc.

And I don't want to wait the 2 minutes it may take to boot up the computer. If the computer was sleeping...I get basically INSTANT access to the computer (no waiting).:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- Do you have an external input device plugged into it?
- Is it really asleep (maybe the screen is just dark)? Sometimes web pages with reoccurring video's/commercials playing can cause a display that looks like it is sleeping to "wake up".
- Do you have a cat?;)
- Do you have any sort of alarm set on the computer?

-It is really asleep: I put my ear to the top of the iMac and it's nice and quiet. After a couple of hours, the alumin(i)um is cold to the touch.
-I do have a cat, but he somehow knows that nine lives don't last long if you go near an iMac ;D Jokes aside, he doesn't jump up onto the desk (also, this would wake it and prevent further sleep until Preferences timeout, which is 3 hrs, to allow for downloads).
-No alarms are set.

Here is more of what I see:
I can't tell the exact frequency at which it occurs, but the fans and HDD can be heard running (the room has to be quiet to hear it). The screen doesn't come on and I've never heard it play a sound, for example the time announcement. It almost seems like a periodic interrupt to perform some housekeeping functions, staying on for a minute or two and then back down to sleep. Another observation is that when I wake it after a few hours of sleep, I find new mail already in the Inbox (Gmail in browser), so something had to have been going on. Am going to try and Google it now.

Googled and...here's where I found a summary of and link to Apple's Technical Note. I have just unchecked "Wake for network access" and will monitor. Will feed back in a few days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...and all I want is a:

- quick answer to a question
- send a quick e-mail
- quickly check my e-mail
- get the weather forecast quickly
- etc.

And I don't want to wait the 2 minutes it may take to boot up the computer. If the computer was sleeping...I get basically INSTANT access to the computer (no waiting).:)

Same here. Plus, getting in from the office, I'm able to carry on working in an instant...particularly since I also need a Virtual Machine if I'm developing. Now that would be a good bit of wear & tear when effectively shutting down and booting two machines each time. When a storm comes along (some serious thunderstorms here too), I put the Mac to sleep and unplug the UPS from mains until the storm passes. If I'm at work, the wife will take care of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.