Spilled water on mb air power adapter screen doesn't turn on now

Reaction score
Hello forum

I spilled water on my macbook air power adapter. I dried it out and connected it to my mba and the screen does not tun on now. Did I short the display? Can a new display fix this?

Thanks

Kind regards

Jorge Vidaurre

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You probably damaged the power adapter when you spilled water on it. It likely shorted out. Buy a new MagSafe Power Adapter from your Apple dealer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Time for a new one!

- Nick

OP
Reaction score
The power adapter functions because the light turns orange, when i connect it to the mba.the mba turns on with the power adapter conneced. I can see the lights beneath the keyboard and when youmpress the volume keys the speaker functions also. The only thing that doesn't function: the display. I turned the mba without the powervadapter and the display still doesn't function. I tried the smc reset: nothing. Would a new display fix that?

Thanks

Kind regsrds

Jorge

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The power adapter functions because the light turns orange, when i connect it to the mba.the mba turns on with the power adapter conneced. I can see the lights beneath the keyboard and when youmpress the volume keys the speaker functions also. The only thing that doesn't function: the display. I turned the mba without the powervadapter and the display still doesn't function. I tried the smc reset: nothing. Would a new display fix that?

I know that this may sound silly...but did you try adjusting the display brightness?

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hello forum

I spilled water on my macbook air power adapter. I dried it out and connected it to my mba and the screen does not tun on now. Did I short the display? Can a new display fix this?

Spilling water on the adapter should not have impacted the display unless you're not telling us the whole story. Did some of that water get into the keyboard at the same time?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was thinking the same thing as "chscag". Spilling liquid on a power adapter should not have any connection to a non-working display. Hopefully no details have been omitted from this situation!;)

- Nick

OP
Reaction score
Actually upon more thought i did try to clean the keyboard with toilet paper wet with lysol. After i cleaned the keyboard with lysol, the display stopped working. Will a new display fix this?

Thanks

Kind regards

Jorge

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
When liquid and computers mix anything is possible. I'd suggest attaching an external display and checking for video. Also removing the base and simply viewing the logic board looking for any sign of liquid spillage. Your no video could be due either to the display or logic board. You may need to take it to an Apple Store or AASP who will have the facilities to diagnose which has failed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually upon more thought i did try to clean the keyboard with toilet paper wet with lysol. After i cleaned the keyboard with lysol, the display stopped working. Will a new display fix this?

Obviously, that wasn't a good idea. Lysol contains a mixture of abrasive and corrosive compounds that clean and kill germs. Follow techiesteve's advice and be prepared to dig into your wallet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB

Was the MBA running at the time? How wet was the toilet paper, damp or dripping? If you're very lucky, it could be what Nick said and you've turned the display brightness down to zero. I really hope so!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.