• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

My First DVD using iMovie/iDVD

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I have made my own DVD using iMovie and iDVD. I must say it was a long process! I started around 11 or so and finished around 6 in the morning (not including that lengthy process iDVD does before it burns it to the DVD). I made a compilation of me and my girlfriends relationship on DVD using pictures and video clips. The DVD mostly contained pictures from different times we would do stuff. I had some of our favorite songs playing the background of the slideshow. I also added two short video clips of us too. Man ole man did that take a long time. It was my first time using iMovie so I had to get used to everything but added a few of editing effects in the video clips :). My only bad experience was iDVD and iMovie freezing up on me and causing me quit. Boy did that **** me off! iMovie and iDVD should have some way where it can save automatically without having to save every 5 min or so in hopes your work wont get lost.

I know my girlfriend will love it, something she can hold on to forever and always look at it when she feels the need too. This kind of open the door for me in terms of video editing and etc. It was a very fun experience and I have been watching the DVD I created tons of times, feels good watching something you created and know that someone will appreciate it too.

I always ask myself why does Macs cost soo much and always find answers to that question. The software that came along with my Powerbook is worth several hundred dollars (Garage Band, iMovie, iDVD and etc). When people are hesitant about spending money on Mac because of price needs to think about all the intangibles and tangible items they get when purchasing a Mac.

Back to work...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
glad you liked the experience, I have never actually used that software since I use the pro apps, but I will say that i do agree with you in that it is an amazing feeling to watch something over and over again that you have created and knowing you have a girlfriend who is going to watch it and apprieate all the time and effort you put into making her something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
The Pro Apps are Final Cut Studio, which is what I use as well.
Final Cut Pro
DVD Studio Pro
Soundtrack Pro
Live Type

They serve the same process as iMovie and iDVD, but gives you more control over it. you should do a small downloadable sample of what it looks like, I would like to see it.

OP
P
Reaction score
My girlfriend loved the DVD! Something we can always look back on in the future and the best part was that it was free!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Glad you've enjoyed your first movie making experience! iMovie is a nice piece of software, although I also don't use it much (I have Final Cut Studio). If I'm in a hurry, I occasionally use it though (same for iDVD).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
Final Cut (HD) is pretty complicated. I messed around with it and did some editing with it before, very hard to do basic things like iMovie etc I thought. However, I am sure once you use it more and more and understand it more, it does wonders.

iMovie and iDVD are great. iDVD is the best dvd maker I have used (compared to other apps for the PC)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.