Mac newbie - help with time capsule and update?

Reaction score
I have had my Mac since 2011 and I'm still quite a newbie in regards to many of the system features.

I need to update my system (currently running 10.6.8) so I can download the newest version of Lightroom.

I don't have my files backed up, and bought a 2TB AirPort Time Capsule hoping to back them up so I can download Mavericks and then spring clean my files before downloading Lightroom.

The thing is, to use the AirPort Time Capsule I need a newer version of the software, but my system keeps saying it is up to date.

Can someone please tell me what I need to do? :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The new vertical version of the Time Capsule requires OS X 10.7.5 minimum for set up and administration.

If you have an iDevice with iOS 5 or later, you could use that to set it up with Airport Utility 1.3
Only problem - if you don't already have that Airport Utility, the only one currently available on the app store requires iOS 6.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.