Regret exchanging iPad Air for Mini Retina?

Reaction score
Once again I'm second guessing a gadget purchase. Two weeks ago I bought the iPad Air and was indeed blown away by its thinness and lightness. Today is the 14th day and I have to make a decision whether to return it for the iPad Mini with Retina Display.

So, did anyone out there return the Air for the Mini Retina and you're now regretting it? I see my main uses for the iPad as reading and also handing it to my soon-to-be toddler on long car rides for videos and games. Whatever your uses, do you wish you had kept the Air, because you miss the larger screen, or whatever?

Or did you go from the original Mini to the iPad Air, and despite the better specs, you now miss the smaller form factor?

Thanks for any advice you can give me on my gadget D-day. :Smirk:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi & welcome to the forum! :) I'm afraid only you can make that decision but are you having a problem w/ the Air (e.g. bothered be an issue that the Mini will solve?) - I have an iPad 2 & wife the first Mini - I much prefer reading on my larger iPad, but even magazines (have about a half dozen) can be difficult (w/ my old eyes) - planning on buying an Air soon and the 'retina display' should help greatly (have that display on my MBPro) - I have no interest in purchasing the new Mini but will have my wife take a look. So, I'll be getting an Air.

Now, I really shuddered at your statement about 'handing it over to your soon-to-be toddler' - YIKES! A new iPad Air (or a new 'exchanged' Mini) - you better purchase Apple Care; I can just see oatmeal & other assortments of baby food down the earphone jack or plugging up the volume rockers - but just my 2 cents and it's been 40 years since I had a baby around but memories last - good luck! Dave :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Get the kid a cheep Android! If it breaks you won't loose a lot of $$$! :D Grin

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi & welcome to the forum! :) I'm afraid only you can make that decision but are you having a problem w/ the Air (e.g. bothered be an issue that the Mini will solve?) - I have an iPad 2 & wife the first Mini - I much prefer reading on my larger iPad, but even magazines (have about a half dozen) can be difficult (w/ my old eyes) - planning on buying an Air soon and the 'retina display' should help greatly (have that display on my MBPro) - I have no interest in purchasing the new Mini but will have my wife take a look. So, I'll be getting an Air.

Now, I really shuddered at your statement about 'handing it over to your soon-to-be toddler' - YIKES! A new iPad Air (or a new 'exchanged' Mini) - you better purchase Apple Care; I can just see oatmeal & other assortments of baby food down the earphone jack or plugging up the volume rockers - but just my 2 cents and it's been 40 years since I had a baby around but memories last - good luck! Dave :)

Ha, I hear ya about the toddler, Dave, lol. I guess I'll have to be careful, but hours of peace is worth the risk, especially on the up-coming 30-hour flight overseas! :D

And thanks for the thoughts. I'll make my own decision, of course, but I appreciate any thoughts. And to answer your question, no, no problems with the Air, per se, but since I'll use this primarily for reading (books, not magazines or comics), and that mostly in bed, then I'm compelled by experiences people have using the incredibly light rMini as a reader and then going to one's MBP when necessary, which is what I'd plan to do when writing, researching, and/or shopping.

Thanks again!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many say the Air is thin and light enough for laying in bed reading. I know it's just 1LB without any case on it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A person should not torture his/her own kids ;D

Well, I can't disagree. Now I will wait for VanSmith to attack us! :D Grin

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You better watch out Dennis, his Android can beat up your Android! ;P

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, I saw that. My son called me the other day and was about 10 minutes away from buying a new Nexus 7. He was basing his choice on price. He wound up with a new iPad Air instead. Once you get inside an Apple store you become hypnotized. ;P

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The new CPU (SOC) in the Air seems to walk all over everything out there except a very thick Microsoft Surface Pro which is really Laptop parts in a thick tablet. Put that with the Retina screen and how thin and light the new iPods are, I am sold.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Put that with the Retina screen and how thin and light the new iPods are, I am sold.

I am too but since I still have my iPad 3 and can't really afford to splurge for a new iPad Air right now, I'll have to wait. We're going to replace our office 2011 iMac 21.5" machine with a new 27" model. We donated the Windows machine we were also using to Goodwill, the iMac 21.5" will replace that.

I no longer have any Windows software that is unique. Everything we need and use is Mac only.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very cool! Target here in the area is offering $200 trade in for my 1st Generation iPad which is still in MINT condition. That way I will need just another $300 and the Air is mine.

The 1st gen has been a great tablet with never one issue but it's time to upgrade and with that much $$$ trade it I better do it or keep quiet! :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Very cool! Target here in the area is offering $200 trade in for my 1st Generation iPad which is still in MINT condition. That way I will need just another $300 and the Air is mine.

Hey Dennis. Is that Target promotion still active? From what I'm reading...the deal expired November 9th.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Someone said it was. Will check on that today. If not, oh well. I will steal Van's Nexus 7 and some Poutine with it! :D Grin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
For what its worth, I read mags on my iPad Mini and would have much rather had a larger screen. Even it it meant getting a regular iPad.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
One real negative on the N7 2013 - rebooted from a full charge - sitting on the side table - screen on for less than 1 minute total - not a single app started - wifi on, everything else is off - 36 hrs and it's down to 7% charge.

Our original Kindle Fire still lasts longer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I have the iPad Mini and now waiting on the Retina iPad Mini, and both people i have asked, one in this forum, does a test with a comic, says on the old iPad Mini, he can't even distinguish that there is writing on the page, and now on the Retina iPad Mini, he says he can not only see that it is writing, he can even read the text.
My mate hear in Australia went to a Apple Store for me and had the 2 side by side, thanks to a nice employee, and he says the words just POP off the page in the retina.
I 2 read a lot of magazines on my Mini, i know I'm going to be happy with the new Retina one. I love the 1 hand hold, the thumb and forefinger hold, and i can lay sideways in bed and still read just like a real book.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.