Best option for extending my wifi

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
Currently have an old model airport extreme (G only). Would like to extend to get stronger signal downstairs. I'm assuming that placing an extender in my living room will in fact make it stronger since it has bigger/better antenna than what's in my iPhone/iPad/MacBook Pro.

That said, I figure I can get an Airport Express ($99) or a replace my old Airport Extreme with a new Airport Extreme ($199) and use my old Airport Extreme as the extender. Is there any advantage to doing the latter to justify the extra $100 other than everything may be faster upstairs when connecting to the main base station?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have you tried moving the AEBS to a central location if possible?

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
Based on the internet source in the house, can't be done, at least not easily. Besides, 90% of my internet access is from my iMac and it's wired in directly to the AEBS (for speed)...and the iMac is in my office so...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Based on the internet source in the house, can't be done, at least not easily. Besides, 90% of my internet access is from my iMac and it's wired in directly to the AEBS (for speed)...and the iMac is in my office so...

Well, you've not explain the 'downstairs' difference, i.e. how many feet, rooms, wall construction? You might want to just upgrade you router to the newest AirPort Extreme - updated 802.11 protocols w/ a wider range - might be all that you would need; plus, you could presumably use the old router as an extender? Just a consideration - Dave :)

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fair enough. Best I can say is that in my living room I have about 2 bars of signal on the wifi indicator. My iPad and iPhone sometimes work fine but most of the time they seem to struggle a bit. I often find myself shutting off the wifi and switching to LTE on my phone...since I'm currently grandfathered into the all-you-can-eat data plan it doesn't really matter...but I can't do that with my iPad as it's wifi only. Maybe the newest AEBS will solve the problem, and if not I can always extend with the old one. That said, I'd rather not spend the extra $100 over the cost of an Airport Express if it doesn't buy me that much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Fair enough. Best I can say is that in my living room I have about 2 bars of signal on the wifi indicator. My iPad and iPhone sometimes work fine but most of the time they seem to struggle a bit. I often find myself shutting off the wifi and switching to LTE on my phone...since I'm currently grandfathered into the all-you-can-eat data plan it doesn't really matter...but I can't do that with my iPad as it's wifi only. Maybe the newest AEBS will solve the problem, and if not I can always extend with the old one. That said, I'd rather not spend the extra $100 over the cost of an Airport Express if it doesn't buy me that much.

I have both the AEBS and AE and the AEBS definitely has a better range and all I use the AE is to stream music to the bedroom the AEBS handles my house and backyard.

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't doubt that the AEBS has better range...but that's not really my issue. The original AEBS falls a bit short in terms of signal strength. For half the price I can get the AE as an extender versus getting the latest AEBS and maybe it gets better.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Since you have a direct wire connection to the AEBS I doubt the new model would gain you that much upstairs.
If it were me, I would opt for the AE and extend.

I'm currently running a 2nd gen Time Capsule as my base and extending with a 1st gen Time Capsule and new AE. Works pretty well.

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good point...although I do have a MBP with which I connect wirelessly. But all over the house so an extender would of course help with that as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.