15" Retina MBP track pad

Reaction score
I've been having an issue with the track pad and cursor not responding after I finish typing. This happens pretty much every time I type something, and then try to move the cursor. Sometimes it will jump and stop a few times, and sometimes doesn't respond at all. It usually takes a full second or 2 before I can take control over the cursor again. Is there a setting for this somewhere? Or is this a potential problem with the hardware? Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Kind of hard to say exactly. Trackpads do go bad. I had the trackpad replaced (with Applecare) a couple months ago on my MacBook Pro.

A couple things you can do (that are free & easy) are to do an NVRAM and SMC reset:

- About NVRAM and PRAM
- Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

It's also possible that you need to reboot your computer (if it hasn't been rebooted in a while). If a Macintosh computer hasn't been rebooted in a while (especially one with 4gig of ram or less)...certain things can start to get "mucked-up"...leading to slow responsiveness as you describe.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Are you current on software updates? There is an update that addresses keyboard / trackpad freezes on retina models.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks pigoo3, I'll try those and see what happens.

JohnCL, yes I am current on updates.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.