Cant access files on external hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 17", 1.67GHz, 2GB RAM, 120 GB HDD. Ipod 20GB
Hello everyone,

I had about 150GB of data on and external hard drive that I was using with my mac, yesterday i connected it to my pc to do a bit of tidying up on it. When I connected back the hard drive to my Mac, I cant none of the data that was previously on it. I did a get info and it still shows that I have about 150Gb of info on it. The thing is I cant read any of the info. Atm, all i can see is 4 files on there....one of them is MSPROTECT and the other is RECYCLER.

Does anyone know how I can get my mac to read all the data thats on the external hard drive again?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanx.

B

bfx

Wild guess kinda thing .... I'm assuming the ext drive is Windows fornat or you wouldn't have been able to load onto the PC.

Hook it back up to the PC

Copy all the files to a folder on the PC

Reformat - full format - the external drive

Check the protection on the files

Copy them back to the external drive

Or - maybe easier - just network the PC to the Mac and transfer the files to the ext hd hooked to the Mac.

But the first way should be faster.

I'm a noob but remember someone mentioning something like this happened to them and it took both a re-format and checking file protection to fix the problem.

Hope this helps. At least you'll have a copy of your files on the PC to try some other method.

bfx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.