MacBook Pro dead!!!!

Reaction score
Hi there,

Hope someone can advise. I have a couple of questions???

My mac book pro has just died on me after many years of good service.
I took it to the apple shop and they told me it was the motherboard that was gone.
They said it will be around £400 to replace so I'm wondering if if really worth it.

Also Is there anyway of being able to get all the photos and music files I had saved on there as I never saved it separately, and I'd love to get my photos back.

Many thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
If the disk in the machine is OK then getting your data back is easy. Take out the disk and put it in an external enclosure and mount it on your new ( or another OS X ) machine.
Whether the repair is worth 400 quid is your call. :)

Cheers ... McBie

C

chas_m

Since you haven't told us what year/model this Mac BOOK Pro (not Mac Pro) is, it's difficult to say whether it is worth fixing or not. If it's older than 2010, I'd say no (but that's just my opinion).

I hope you've learned a valuable lesson about backing up. Hopefully McBie's suggestion will work, but if you don't want to lose data you MUST backup your drives on a routine basis.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I changed the Thread Title to Macbook Pro as that is what the machine is so people will know that see the title.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.