Losing Fingerprint function on IPhone 5S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Not much use to me.

I dont understand this statement. Why is it (being the iPhone) of no use to you, just because you can't put your finger on the sensor and it can't read it. (I'm sure a firmware update soon will fix it too) But how does a iPhone loose if Functionality just because the Finger Sensor doesn't work ??
Everything else does, doesn't it ??

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I dont understand this statement. Why is it (being the iPhone) of no use to you, just because you can't put your finger on the sensor and it can't read it. (I'm sure a firmware update soon will fix it too) But how does a iPhone loose if Functionality just because the Finger Sensor doesn't work ??
Everything else does, doesn't it ??

Would be willing to place a pretty hefty bet that the reference was in relation to the prior sentence about the scanner only working 50% of the time and having to end up putting in his passcode and to the entire conversation being about the scanner function not working and therefore "of not much use" to him... He has not made any reference to the iPhone itself being of no use outside this context.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Would be willing to place a pretty hefty bet that the reference was in relation to the prior sentence about the scanner only working 50% of the time and having to end up putting in his passcode and to the entire conversation being about the scanner function - he has not made any reference to the iPhone itself being of no use - have to keep things in context.

Yea but still even if it is about the scanner, really ?? Im pretty sure that the OP didn't buy the iPhone 5s just because of the scanner, so again its really a mute comment from where i stand. They can still get into the phone scanner or not . . .

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Doesn't matter whether they can still get into the phone or not - one of the primary new features advertised for this phone is not working - either on this particular phone or for this particular individual - that, in and of itself is worth discussion and troubleshooting to see if the issue can be resolved.

M

MacInWin

@TatooedMac, Bob has it right. My sentence fragment. "Not much use to me" should have been a complete sentence: "The Fingerprint recognition function is not much use to me because it doesn't work for me."

I'm happy with the phone, otherwise, and if Apple can't fix the scanner problem, oh, well, my previous iPhone didn't have it either, so I haven't lost anything. But it's a feature of the new phone that Apple made a big deal about and which would be pretty handy if it worked but it's not working for me, which is personally frustrating. Given the busy-ness of the Christmas season, I don't have time to mess with it, so I'll deal with Apple after the holidays. For now, the phone is just like my old 4s. I did put a short password back on, as a place holder, until I can deal with the fingerprint sensor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@TatooedMac, Bob has it right. My sentence fragment. "Not much use to me" should have been a complete sentence: "The Fingerprint recognition function is not much use to me because it doesn't work for me."

Too easy mate. . . Im wondering (and not knowing your age and don't need to) but is this happening more with the older generation, where there finger tips are more worn from working the long years that they have, or is this a random thing ?? Curious to know !!!

M

MacInWin

Could be, TatooedMac. I'm 68, but the system "learned" my fingers quickly, so I would think that it should be able to read them later for more than 2-4 days. I saw a headline (didn't get to read the article) about older people making it harder for fingerprint recognition to work, but I was a "white collar" worker, didn't develop calluses (except for typing fingers, LOL) so it seems a stretch to say my years of shuffling paper wore down my fingerprints.

But stranger things have happened!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But then again, a paper cut hurts more than a cut with a knife ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.