Macbook Pro Problem

Reaction score
(Thought I'd posted this already but it seems to have got lost somewhere so please excuse me if this turns out to be a duplication)

All of a sudden my Macbook Pro decided to open in Finder instead of Desktop. On contacting the Apple Store a "Genius" managed to "sort of" sort it out although he had no idea what had caused the problem. However, he left me with a folder: com.apple.finder.savedState on my desktop. I have now dragged this into Trash without any ill effects and wondered if it could be deleted altogether.

At present I am running Mountain Lion (Mavericks) OS X 10.9 (13A603) with all hardware and software up to date. I have back ups saved in Time Machine from before the issue occurred but am reluctant to use one to avoid having to update everything again. Therefore, I would appreciate any help anyone can offer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
If the question is " can I delete this file from trash " without any ill effects, then the answer is Yes.
Just empty the trash.
Is fact, the file is no longer used anyway since it is in the trash.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
oisin01
Reaction score
McBie,

Thanks for the prompt answer. I now feel confident in gassing the file for good. The only other issue I'm unsure about is what caused the problem in the first place - could it be anything to do with the upgrade to Mavericks?

C

chas_m

Nope. In fact, "Finder" and "Desktop" are the same thing. The Finder is open at all times (go look on the dock, you'll see a white/blue light under the Finder icon on the far left side). I suspect you mean that a "Finder window" was opened upon restarting the machine, that's a feature from Lion on up that remembers the state of the last shutdown. Removing the "savedstate" file will (and did) restore the "default" empty desktop state.

OP
oisin01
Reaction score
Hi Chas_m,
Thanks for the explanation. As a recent convert from Microsoft I can see I still have a lot to learn.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.