2009 Mac Mini good enough to replace dual core PC?

Reaction score
My Dad is frustrated with his Athlon dual-core 2.2 ghz Windows pc. As we were trying to fix Windows issues on it today, he remarked "I sure wish I had a desktop computer that works as well as my iPhone". I'm thinking I'll snag a Mac Mini for him and introduce him to a whole new world :D He doesn't do any intense processing... mostly viewing images, email, web browsing, scanning, printing, documents, etc. I'm assuming that an October 2009 2.53 ghz Mac Mini with 4GB RAM would be sufficient to do the trick, and would allow him to use Mavericks. I've got an old 2006 Mac Mini and it's not even all that bad performance wise, but obviously can't run Mountain Lion or Mavericks. However, I don't have any experience with one. Myself, I use a quad I7 iMac and also have a 4-core Mac Pro, so am in a little different league.

Based on the idea that he doesn't need to do anything too intensive, would the 2009 Mac Mini likely perform well enough to be quite useable? From what I've seen, OS X is a lot more streamlined, efficient, and responsive than Windows, so I'm "guessing" it might be more snappy than his old pc. Any thoughts appreciated.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I used that model Mac Mini for my primary photography workstation up until April of this year, so it should handle the level of useage you describe fairly well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.