Adobe Reader ?

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this but this looked like the closest place. I have 10.7.5 and a macbook pro I just lost all my adobe files. When I click on them I get this message:
There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired.

I uninstalled Adobe and reinstalled. rebooted and neither action worked. Any ideas? Have I lost the files permanently? Thanks for any replies.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're going to have to supply us with more info....

Which adobe program are you referring to? Also, removing and reinstalling a program is not going to repair or fix corrupted files. What are the files?

OP
M
Reaction score
Its Adobe Reader X1 version 11.0.04. The files are mostly PDFs and other misc documents. Anything that was saved on Adobe will no longer open. I have opened them many times in the past so I know they were not corrupted originally.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
PDF files on your Mac can be opened with Preview, you don't really need the Adobe Reader unless you happen to run across a rogue website that demands you use it to open PDFs. (I have had that happen before.)

Even if the files were previously opened and read with the Adobe Reader, they could have been corrupted by system or hard drive errors, or again, by the Adobe Reader itself. I've never had a problem with Adobe Reader but hardly use it on my Mac, instead I use the default reader which is Preview.

You might want to boot to your recovery partition (command + r), open Utilities, and run Disk Utility to verify your hard drive just in case. I don't know of a way to bring back your files unless you have been making backups.

OP
M
Reaction score
OK Thanks for the information. I guess I learned an expensive lesson. I'll never use Adobe for anything again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.