Dropped macbook. Shut off and made beeping noise. Working now, should I be worried?

Reaction score
My macbook pro fell on the floor, it immedietly shut down and began to make 3 audible alarm like beeping sounds over and over again. From what I could gather it sounds like the ram probably became dislodged. I risked a forced restart of the computer and it appears to be working fine now (currently in the process of backing it up). Was it just a false alarm, or should I be worried and need to take it in? Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it's working OK, I wouldn't take it in to Apple unless you feel you should. However, it might be a good idea to open it up and re-seat the memory modules. There are two in your MacBook Pro. It's very easy to open your machine up, remove the modules and put them back in. If you're in doubt how to do it, go the the ifixit site and look at their step by step instructions.

iFixit: The free repair manual

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go into Apple System Profiler (About this Mac) > Memory and see what is reported as to memory installed.

OP
T
Reaction score
If it's working OK, I wouldn't take it in to Apple unless you feel you should. However, it might be a good idea to open it up and re-seat the memory modules. There are two in your MacBook Pro. It's very easy to open your machine up, remove the modules and put them back in. If you're in doubt how to do it, go the the ifixit site and look at their step by step instructions.

iFixit: The free repair manual

I thought about that as well, making sure everything was in there nice and snug. Unfortunately I don't have the drill bits for the mac. Also that would void my warranty, correct (thank god I ended up opting for the 3 year deal)?

Go into Apple System Profiler (About this Mac) > Memory and see what is reported as to memory installed.
It appears all ram slots are being used. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
You don't need drill bits to open a MacBook Pro. If it's standard unibody MBP all is needed is a small philips screwdriver. If it's a Retina MacBook Pro the base will be fixed on by security screws, no need to undo as the RAM is soldered to the logic board so can't shake loose.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.