Iphone 5S in waterproof case-can this be a problem?

Reaction score
When talking to an Apple tech on another matter, I mentioned the Incipio Atlas case I was using with my phone. The tech floated the concern that maybe the case might cause the iPhone to overheat. Is there any basis to this concern? Can someone with knowledge of such mysteries comment? Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Cases like the Atlas, the Otterbox, Lifeproof, etc have been around for quite a while now and have always been a very popular choice. If they caused overheating problems, I tend to think they wouldn't be sold.

C

chas_m

They certainly CAN cause overheating problems as they trap the heat that would normally be more easily dispersed, but unless you're using your iPhone for extended periods in very hot environments (think "car in Florida in bright sunshine"), I wouldn't worry about it.

OP
H
Reaction score
They certainly CAN cause overheating problems as they trap the heat that would normally be more easily dispersed, but unless you're using your iPhone for extended periods in very hot environments (think "car in Florida in bright sunshine"), I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks for the information. I will be reading your newbie posts. I am finally getting around to learning how to use all my Apple tools. Thanking you in advance for all the information you have provided.

OP
H
Reaction score
Cases like the Atlas, the Otterbox, Lifeproof, etc have been around for quite a while now and have always been a very popular choice. If they caused overheating problems, I tend to think they wouldn't be sold.
Thank you for giving context regarding the Atlas case. Nice to know that those who have gone before have already tested the case for overheating :)
I appreciate your providing information.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.