Airport Extreme or Time Capsule

Reaction score
I recently purchased a MacBook Pro and decided it's time to upgrade my router. I've been running a Arris Cable Modem/Router, leased from Time Warner Cable for over a year and have had intermittent wi-fi issues for the entire time. Now with the Mac the problem seems to be more persistent. I am ready to spend $$ for a good or even the best router I can find that will accomplish this and put the modem into bridge mode, where it belongs.

In my home network we have the following devices:
MacBook Pro Mid 2012
Phones running IOS
Android Phone
PC laptop Win 7
Desktops Win 7
Canon MX 700 all in one printer
WD My Book Ext. HD, 1TB
Playstation 3 (Wi-fi)
Kindle Fire
Google Chromecast
LG Smart TV

I want all devices to play nice (of course) but that seems easier said then done.
My goal is to connect the printer to the router but since it has only one USB port I can't do that and still use the WD External drive. So the other option is to get the Time Capsule and eliminate the WD. It could remain connected to one of the desktops as it is now. These are my options as I see them but I was hoping to hear from you guys (and gals) as to some other options I'm not aware of. Since I have more Windows based devices should I be looking at other, non Apple routers as well?

Thanks much for any and all feedback!:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
My vote the TC and I hope Santa leaves one under the tree this year .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
I recently bought a Apple Extreme router 802.11AC. Could not be happier. Has worked very good rock solid. I see the biggest improvement with my smart tv. I had a Cisco router before and netflex would freeze or drop the net work connection from time to time. Since using the Apple this has been rock solid have yet to drop a connection. It's a bit pricy but well worth the money glad I bought it.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
That printer is supposed to be Network compatible and has an Ethernet port (according to specs I just looked at). Have you tried plugging it direct to the router and setting it up as a Network device?

If that works you can use the USB port on the AEBS and keep your WD external.

OP
D
Reaction score
That printer is supposed to be Network compatible and has an Ethernet port (according to specs I just looked at). Have you tried plugging it direct to the router and setting it up as a Network device?

If that works you can use the USB port on the AEBS and keep your WD external.

Well I went ahead and got the Time Capsule (2TB). I still have some network issues to workout but the printer is online and visible to all the computers using a USB hub. I also have the WD hard drive connected to the hub and that seems to be working well also. As far as the router, it is exceeding my expectations at least so far.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.