Desktop or Laptop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo--2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Hey Y'all,

I think my 07 model Macbook Pro is on its final leg. Lately the screen will turn to some purplish,greenish checkery haze on my screen. Plus, I just need something that is much faster and more efficient than my current setup.

I am a 24 year old teacher and I need something that is fast and that can handle editing videos better than my laptop.

Im torn between a desktop or a laptop. I'm kind of getting sick of the laptop because I am always dealing with battery crap once a year and silly things with my screen or whatnot.

What would y'all recommend?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Do you need to be able to move the computer around or take it with you, or can it be tied to a desk.

That's a question only you can answer.

You will get more for your money with a desktop related to specs.
The issue is still one of mobility that has to be answered first.
No one here can answer that for you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Im torn between a desktop or a laptop.

As already mentioned...only you can make this decision. The need for portability is usually a pretty straightforward & personal choice.

I'm kind of getting sick of the laptop because I am always dealing with battery crap once a year and silly things with my screen or whatnot.

This is simply part of the price we pay for portability. With benefits...come liabilities. What would you rather carry with you when you need portability...a laptop...or a large heavy iMac with a long extension cord??;)

Now on the other hand (depending on your portability needs)...you could go for a desktop & an iPad.:)

- Nick

OP
gatrapper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo--2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Portability is what is making the decision tough. I do have an iPad as well.

Can I get a macbook pro that can handle video editing efficiently. I know my setup now has like 2 gigs of ram, which blows.

The laptop is just nice for when I am taking trips and at conferences, but part of me also feels that a desktop is a good idea.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...but part of me also feels that a desktop is a good idea.

If your iPad can do everything you need it to do from a portable electronic device standpoint...and if you think that buying a desktop is a good idea...then get a desktop.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
For me , the choice has always been easy --> a laptop.
You can use a laptop as a desktop, but not the other way around.
( At least not on an airplane :)

Todays laptops are very powerful and on very rare occasions will you need the raw power and storage of a desktop.
If you only consume content, then an iDevice ... if you create content, then a laptop.

My humble 2 cents.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
Bit of a late response, but...

A desktop has got a decent screen area, far more pleasant to work on. But if portability is desired and you're prepared to purchase a Thunderbolt Display or some other decently-sized display, then I'd say go with the MacBook. Be sure to choose a MacBook Pro if you want desktop-like performance though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.