"out of box" discouraged

Reaction score
We just got a refurbished iMac, and there are a bunch of set up screens that seem to be impossible to navigate through. I have an older iMac, so am not totally ignorant, but am stuck at square #1 with this thing! I expected it to just come on...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm not exactly sure what sort of setup screens you're having trouble with...but starting up a new iMac is usually pretty straightforward for both the experienced & the novice Macintosh owner.

We get lots & lots & lots of new Macintosh owners here at Mac-Forums...and I cannot remember the last time someone had a new/refurbished initial setup issue.

Maybe something unusual is going on in your situation. More information would be helpful to understand what's going on.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thread moved to more appropriate sub-forum. If you already own an older iMac...then you're not a "Switcher".:)

Thanks for understanding.

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
We are all just end users the same as you. No one here works for Apple. Most of us get a new computer as often as you do. Which means that, we haven't seen any of those initial screens since our last new computer.

Telling us what exactly it is you are stuck at might give us some clue as to a proper course in assisting you.

OP
M
Reaction score
more info

welcome.jpg

They ask for me to use the "voice-over" commands and scroll with keyboard combinations. The mouse does not function... for instance, I cannot "click" on "continue", I have to use "control +option + right arrow" then space bar, but now even that doesn't work.
Anyone have any ideas?

This is Apple Certified Refurbished

Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Are you using a wired mouse?

Try using the arrow keys to move up and down to select your country (am assuming that's what it is, can't really tell in the pic), then press enter.

(press the tab key to move between options)

OP
M
Reaction score
I know what you describe is the logical way to do it, but in this case the "enter" key does not advance the screen. Tabbing moves the highlighted boxes, but enter doesn't select them.
After "escape" to voice-over explanations and back to setup I got past the country screen, but the next, select a keyboard does the same thing. Choose "United States" but enter doesn't advance and tabbing to the "continue" button doesn't either.
It is a wireless keyboard and mouse.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I'm just doing this with my new MacBook Pro; if you are in the USA just hit the 'return' key. I am in the UK, but the trackpad worked fine for me and I could select that country before hitting return.

As suggested, you can use the arrow keys to select your country then hit return to select.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know what you describe is the logical way to do it, but in this case the "enter" key does not advance the screen. Tabbing moves the highlighted boxes, but enter doesn't select them.
After "escape" to voice-over explanations and back to setup I got past the country screen, but the next, select a keyboard does the same thing. Choose "United States" but enter doesn't advance and tabbing to the "continue" button doesn't either.
It is a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Have you tried calling Apple? When you get something new/refurbished...take advantage of the free Apple phone support. Maybe there's an easy answer/solution they can help you with...or maybe there's a problem requiring a return.

What you're dealing with doesn't sound normal. Unless you accidentally or unfortunately pressed a 2 or 3 key combination on your keyboard...that triggered some of the "Universal Access" functions (functions for folks with hearing, sight, or dexterity challenges).

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That series of setup screens is supposed to run the first time a Mac is setup or if the hard drive / SSD has been wiped and the OS is being completely installed. Is there an administrator account set up on this machine? If there isn't one present I think that setup routine runs until you create one.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Something is wrong if the Apple Supplied mouse will not work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Well if its the blue tooth mouse, first make sure its turned on and the batteries are installed. Once it is, it takes a moment for the system to detect there is no attached mouse then it will start searching for blue tooth devices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.