Backing up/Cleaning

Reaction score
:Confused:Any advice on backing up my MacBook Pro 10.4.11, and what is involved in cleaning it for faster speeds? Next step will be how to download video capability. Thank you...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Probably the easiest way would be to upgrade Tiger to at least Leopard since that's the first version of OS X to include Time Machine. But if you can't or don't want to do that, look for an old copy of either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper and use it to backup or clone to an external drive.

As for cleaning, again you'll need to look for an old copy of a cleaning and maintenance program. The one we recommend is OnyX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The original 1.83GHz releasesof MBP ran Tiger OS X.4 as the system installed, and these are now coming up to eight years old. Sadly not too much you can do to speed things up. Also the 2GB memory limit does not help.

OP
L
Reaction score
I'm thinking of making it as clean as I can, update after backup, and searching for some kind of smaller unit, like an I-pad or Tablet of some kind. Portability vs. lugging a heavy Macbook around w/ a battery that doesn't hold. I replaced it once. $100+ was enough. If the plug-in disconnects, it goes black within minutes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.