converting to AAC made duplicates

R

ryandowler05

I just converted some songs from mp3 to aac using iTunes and it seems as if it made duplicates of the song in mpeg and in aac formats. Why is that? And why don't the aac files show up in the music folders? Only the mpeg duplicates are showing up in the iTunes music folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It will always create a duplicate if you convert to aac.
It doesn't really make that much sense to be doing it at all really, as you're compressing a compressed file - i.e. you'll suffer 2x the audio degradation.

I'd just leave the mp3 files, unless you have a specific need for them to be in aac format.

If you want to resolve the duplicates, click iTunes' edit menu and then select 'show duplicate songs'.

OP
R

ryandowler05

Aptmunich said:
It will always create a duplicate if you convert to aac.
It doesn't really make that much sense to be doing it at all really, as you're compressing a compressed file - i.e. you'll suffer 2x the audio degradation.

I'd just leave the mp3 files, unless you have a specific need for them to be in aac format.

If you want to resolve the duplicates, click iTunes' edit menu and then select 'show duplicate songs'.
How come the aac files don't show up in the iTunes library folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
They should be normally...
But they have the file extension .m4a, not .aac as you might expect.

Right-click (Ctrl-click) one and select 'reveal'.
It will open a Finder window with the location of the song and highlight the selected song. That's your aac file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.