Wifi IP Address Problems

Reaction score
I have the weirdest problem I have ever experienced on my macbook air. I am able to connect to my network just fine and access the internet. But if I move more than about 10-15 feet from the router (airport extreme) the macbook reverts to a self assigned ip address and I can no longer connect to the internet. As soon as I move back to within 10-15 feet it will grab an ip address again. I also have a macbook pro and ipod touch that have no issues connect to the router anywhere in the house. I have tried restarting the computer when it cannot grab the ip address to see if possibly the airport card just can't pick up signal in those spots but I can clearly see my network in the list of available networks with full signal. I have re-formated the computer with Mavericks and Mountain Lion and even with a fresh install I still run into the same problem. I have also tried to assign it a static ip address but again as soon as I move out of that 10-15 foot radius it looses the static ip. Any other ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is your Airport Extreme a dual band model? That is, does it transmit both 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals? If it is and you're transmitting on 5GHz, switch to 2.4GHz and try moving your MBA again as you did before. If none of this applies to you, try relocating your Airport Extreme.

OP
D
Reaction score
Is your Airport Extreme a dual band model? That is, does it transmit both 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals? If it is and you're transmitting on 5GHz, switch to 2.4GHz and try moving your MBA again as you did before. If none of this applies to you, try relocating your Airport Extreme.

I found out that you cannot completely disable the 5ghz on any of the airport devices. The best that can be done is to broadcast the 5ghz on a separate network I did but the computer is still having the same problems with not being able to get an IP address.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.