Memory hog

Reaction score
Activity monitor shows my 4GB iMac is consistently using over 3.95 GB of memory. Any thoughts/suggestions?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any thoughts/suggestions?

Without any additional info...the obvious answer is don't open so many apps at the same time.

If this isn't the case...then there may be a misunderstanding between "active" and "inactive" ram.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you using Mavericks? If so it uses Memory Compression and reports the usage differently than OSX ever has before. Even when it says all my ram is used the machine still seems snappy. It's very different than Lion and Mountain Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Mine was the same way. I added an extra 4 g of RAM which made absolutely no difference in speed. Apple somehow manages RAM very well, so adding more RAM may be totally unnecessary, even if it seems to be a RAM hog. In fact right now, I have 4 and 1/2 Gs "used" with only 5 tabs running and nothing else crazy going on (usage).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.