Application (null)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, MacOS Ventura, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook Air 2020
Fairly frequently (several times a month), there is a popup on my MBP OS 10.9 about application (null) wanting to access the internet. What is application (null)? And should I block or allow? (I have been blocking, figuring that an app with the name "null" probably doesn't have anything to do anyway!) Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Application Null does nothing and was created for Android testing. Block it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you.

Your "signature line" urges "...make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer". I have already installed Mavericks, but your suggestion seems sound. After reading your post, I Googled the subject, and came up with a variety of ways to create a bootable USB drive for OS 10.9. Do you have a recommended procedure, and if so, please share it. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Follow the procedure as given in MacWorld. Go to this LINK.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Application Null does nothing and was created for Android testing. Block it.
Not necessarily. Null tells us that the computer can't find the name of the application and/or that it doesn't recognize it anymore. Thus, it could be anything. If someone hasn't done any Android application testing on their machine, then the problem lay elsewhere.

stefanmaine, have you uninstalled any applications as of late?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
have you uninstalled any applications as of late?

Not for a long time.

However ... as I wrote here earlier (see http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/304830-mavericks-halloween-scare.html), I had an issue with the MBP which was initially diagnosed as impending hard disk failure. SMARTReporter, which was suggested to me here, continues to report "OK", so I continue using the laptop. But I did notice a slowing down, which I thought probably was attributable to the hard disk issue (SMARTReporter notwithstanding). I asked a second shop, which discounted the likelihood of disk failure, and suggested instead that I run the Disk Utility "Repair Disk Permissions". I did that, and the result has been a noticeable and welcome improvement in performance. And so far, the hard disk seems to be okay.

Since the "Repair Disk Permissions" event, a number of apps have asked for "permission" to go online. I presume that is because the utility removed it? Maybe (null) is among those, although the first (null) requests predated the "Repair Disk Permissions" event. (I think -- but am not certain -- that the (null) requests may have coincided with my installing Hot Spot Shield Elite (https://www.hsselite.com) which I run when traveling.)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Null is not an application - it simply means "not there"/"doesn't exist". Think of it as the equivalent of nil. This is why it's tricky since it's essentially saying "we're trying to run something that now no longer exists but we can't tell you what that is because it doesn't exist." Consequently, it could be anything.

Repairing permissions wouldn't have caused this since that process won't remove anything. So, you can scratch that off the list of things.

Does this happen when you're using an application/opening it? This can occur when a part of an application is missing.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Last week, vansmith asked "Does this happen when you're using an application/opening it?"

The fact is, I have not seen a (null) request to go on the internet since I blocked one at harryb2448's suggestion.

If there is another, I will post it here, but it seems ... at least for the moment ... that (null) has gone to ground.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.