iMac and MBA - TB connection failing

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an 2011 iMac at the office and an 2011 MBA (both running 10.9) that I'm using on the run. Now since I want to have all my docs etc on the MBA I have set up my office so I connect my MBA to my iMac using thunderbolt (i.e. using the MBA just for storage).

The problem is that my TB connection is very glitchy! Sometimes my MBA shows up in the Finder on the iMac with no issues and sometimes it won't... Sometimes it shows up but I can't connect.

Even when it does work it sometimes just disappears (very annoying when working in a doc on the iMac that I want to have saved on the MBA...)

Anyone have any suggestions to what the issues might be?

/Max

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like it might be a faulty cable or connector. I would try another cable to see if that eliminates the problem. I know those cables can be expensive to buy from Apple, instead suggest you go to monoprice.com and shop for one there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.