Arrogance & Ignorance abounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not yet bought one.
Not impressed at all, hears why:-

My first 17" MBP had to have it's screen replaced, then the super drive and finally the Motherboard… all within the Apple 'care' extended warranty. So I got them to replace it the MBP.

My new 17" MBP, after a while started to get glitchy and I had 'Terminal Beach-ball' syndrome. So I decided to get a OWC Mercury 960Gig SSD to see if it would fix the problem which for the most part it did; you cant make a silk purse sows ear… even if the sow's ear is gold plated.

When I checked with Apple they said I'd void my warranty if I replaced it myself. I pointed out that I had a manual for my Mac, and that it gave 10 pages with photos, how to replace the Hard Drive (all very straight forward (my 90 year old mum could have done it). I told the guy; someone in the tech section who I'd been transferred to; obviously with little or no people skills, that I would not have to use a Lawyer to win that case. He covered by saying that I might be able to get a reseller to do the installation. Thinking there might be some setting needed I decided to ring around and find a suitable reseller.

I was surprised how critical some of these resellers were regarding Apple products, a High end Physics Lecturer friend of mine had been highly critical of Macs, saying they had cheap and dated parts.

After a bit of thought I settled on a reseller in Sydney, since I had other business there.

So I dropped off my Mac with the SSD and they said it should only take them a couple of hours.

When I rang to check on the progress I'm told they have had major problems… my Hard Drive is on it's way out… this is in my second new MBP!

The guys at 'Mac Centre' Sydney were great, they spent hours transferring my data, ordered a warranty replacement, put the replacement Hard Drive into a Caddie and posted it back to me, and they did not charge me (I put $50 in their beer tin).

So 2 of my new 17" MBPs and 4 major components tha had to be replaced; whilst still under 'Apple Care's' extended warranty.

I had owned 4 other Laptops in my time (3 second hand 1 new; which came standard with a 3 year warranty)… not one of them failed, they just need upgrading; no problems other than with Windows.

In Australia we pay an unnecessarily higher price because of 'Geo-blocking', and Apple are now soldering in RAM; so if you want more RAM, you now have to pay Apple's outrageous prices… hey it's my Laptop, I paid top dollar for it!

But wait there's more. I got the Nov. '13 'update' notice for Safari, iTunes and a 3rd I can't remember; after checking online, I decided I wait till they fixed 'Mavericks' bugs… unfortunately the 3 updates I did update has screwed my system; like sooo many others. And you get the 'we are not responsible for non Mac software'.

Well I'm sure they have a full list of what we are running on OUR machines (thanks to Snowdon); don't bother denying it Apple. Yet their beta testing is sooo useless, they don't allow for the fact that other companies make some dame good software; which mac does not have available, or is not as good; get over it and yourselves Apple (your in a service industry).

So now I have to rebuild my Mac… thanks a lot.

So then I think, what do I do now, do I put Mountain Lion back on… or take a gamble. So I do another search re 'Mavericks'… and just who is Maverick anyway?

Apple's Dictionary defines:-
maverick |ˈmav(ə)rɪk| noun
1 an unorthodox or independent-minded person:
2 N. Amer. an unbranded calf or yearling.
adjective.

You got to laugh I guess.

But Wait there's still more. 'Mavericks' apparently does not like Parallels Desktop… not it appears XP Pro either (which is the 'best' Microsoft got; Microsoft a rather appropriate name I think), which means I wont be able to access my Lotus Organiser's 10 years of data; which I occasionally have to access.

Lotus Organiser is without a doubt the best Organiser EVER made, in fact the whole suit would be a great addition to Mac OS; assuming Apple can start thinking more about service and less about screwing every sent out of suppliers and customers.

Like I said, Arrogance & Ignorance abounds… feel free to join in.

Regards

Beam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Beam,
With all due respect, I think you are trying to tell something, but I am not getting it.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Ignorance does indeed abound . . . hears [sic] why it's called Mavericks:

Mavericks is a surfing location in Northern California, USA. It is located approximately 2 miles from shore outside Pillar Point Harbor, just north of the town of Half Moon Bay at the village of Princeton-by-the-Sea.;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I was surprised how critical some of these resellers were regarding Apple products, a High end Physics Lecturer friend of mine had been highly critical of Macs, saying they had cheap and dated parts.
I'm not sure what being a physics lecturer has to do with this but they seem to be floating around an opinion different from most tech reviewers.

In Australia we pay an unnecessarily higher price because of 'Geo-blocking', and Apple are now soldering in RAM; so if you want more RAM, you now have to pay Apple's outrageous prices… hey it's my Laptop, I paid top dollar for it!
Apple, along with many other companies, engage in this practice. This dubious practice is hardly unique to Apple.

But wait there's more. I got the Nov. '13 'update' notice for Safari, iTunes and a 3rd I can't remember; after checking online, I decided I wait till they fixed 'Mavericks' bugs… unfortunately the 3 updates I did update has screwed my system; like sooo many others. And you get the 'we are not responsible for non Mac software'.
No company ever supports software that isn't theirs. Apple, again, is no different in this regard.

Well I'm sure they have a full list of what we are running on OUR machines (thanks to Snowdon); don't bother denying it Apple.
Do you have proof of this or this is conjecture?

Yet their beta testing is sooo useless, they don't allow for the fact that other companies make some dame good software; which mac does not have available, or is not as good; get over it and yourselves Apple (your in a service industry).
How is the inability of third parties to port software to OS X Apple's fault? That would be like saying that it's Ford's fault that Bridgestone doesn't make tires for Fords.

Apple's Dictionary defines:-
maverick |ˈmav(ə)rɪk| noun
1 an unorthodox or independent-minded person:
2 N. Amer. an unbranded calf or yearling.
adjective.

You got to laugh I guess.
I'm not sure what this definition has to do with what's going on here.

But Wait there's still more. 'Mavericks' apparently does not like Parallels Desktop… not it appears XP Pro either (which is the 'best' Microsoft got; Microsoft a rather appropriate name I think), which means I wont be able to access my Lotus Organiser's 10 years of data; which I occasionally have to access.
Except that it does. Have you tried it?

Reaction score
Me thinks there's a loose nut on the steering wheel.

M

MacInWin

+1 for Parallels and XP PRo. working find on my 17" MBP with Mavericks. This thing is built like a tank, it takes everything I throw at it.
Apple are now soldering in RAM; so if you want more RAM, you now have to pay Apple's outrageous prices… hey it's my Laptop, I paid
Not in your 17" MBP. It's on two removable sticks in the center of the MB. Take out the 10 little screws and it's right there. (If you want to see it done, go to macsales.com and look at their tech video for upgrading memory.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I have found that there are people who will have issues on ANY computer, regardless of make or OS. They are just idiots.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Well...

image.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

Can't add to your reputation right now, but you get a kajillion virtual rep points for quoting one of my all-time favorite movies. And that's probably one of the top 5 quotes from that movie too!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That's enough of that. At this point, the thread has become nothing more than insults.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.